How to install Meteor for Windows for all users?

I’m going to use Meteor on my JavaScript classes here at the university I’m teacher. We have labs with machines running Windows 7 and sadly I can’t change it, so the Meteor for Windows is essential to us.

The problem: as I know Meteor is always installed inside the current user folder (C:\Users%UserName%\AppData\Local\.meteor). But here, every student has his own user account loaded from Active Directory without administrator privileges and, of course, it’s impossible to install Meteor again every time a new student log in to a new machine.

Is it possible to install Meteor for Windows for all users instead of only for the current logged user?

You can try to move:

C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\.meteor
to:
C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\.meteor

And fix permissions on the folder so everyone can access.

Also, fix the PATH environment variable (system variable) instead of current user.

Never tried but hope it’ll work :slight_smile:

That worked on my Windows 7 box. Thank you!

Your instructions worked well, thank you.

Here, we wanted to repeat the process on many machines, so I created a simple batch.
Here is it, for those who maybe will be interested:

robocopy "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\.meteor" "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Local\.meteor" /MIR /SEC /XJD /R:5 /W:5 /MT:32 /V /NP
icacls "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Local\.meteor" /grant All:(OI)(CI)F /T /C
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v Path /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%path%;C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Local\.meteor\"

Of course, I believe a simple checkbox “Install for all users” in the Windows installer would be very, very desired.