How would I host a Meteor app on my own server?

I currently work at a law firm (I don’t do development for them, I am just a hobbiest that does it on the side) and we recently moved our entire operation to a cloud hosting service. Prior to the move, we had a big server room (with really nice servers that are only a year or so old) and now they are sitting around doing nothing. I was told that I could use them to host apps if I’d like, however, I have no idea how to set them up to host a Meteor app. Can anyone provide me with info/tutorials on how I would go about doing this? Let me know, thanks!!

You want mup. :smile:

That’s a good starting point, but reply here if you need more details/help!

@captsaltyjack discovermeteor.com have a chapter about deploying.
Meteor Up documentation is easy and a good guide too.
Ive been using Meteor Up since begining…no issue at all with +50 users at the same time.
In a future you could read about reverse proxy and more stuff…but first go with MUP if you want less troubles.

Also you can find some Node specific solutions too that are good…

I encourage you to read this also METEOR CLUSTER

1 Like

Sweet, thanks!! I’ll give that a shot and see if I run into any problems. So if my server doesn’t have node or mongodb installed mup will just install it for me if I leave those sections of the mup file set to true?

This is my configuration:

{
  "servers": [
    {
      "host": "111.111.111.111",
      "username": "root",
      "password": "passroot"
    }
  ],
  "setupMongo": false,
  "setupNode": true,
  "setupPhantom": false,
  "appName": "test",
  "app": "/path/for/app",
  "env": {
    "PORT": 80,
    "ROOT_URL": "http://url.com",
    "MONGO_URL": "mongodb://db:dbpass@oceanic.mongohq.com:888/something"
  },
  "deployCheckWaitTime": 15
}

If its just for testing the root user is OK but if you deploy lot of APPS try creating a user for each or specific one.

Bullet proof settings… if you want to use a local MONGO just avoid mongo URL and the FALSE state on setup propertie.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the example!

I’ve found that MONGO_URL is not needed when deploying using mup. I suppose it just knows where to find the server and database?

If you don’t provide a mongo URL it assumes you’re using a local mongoDB.
You only need to provide the URL if you’re using something like compose.io.

Did you install/setup the remote Mongo instance? Right now I use mup without the MONGO_URL, so Meteor uses the local instance, but at some point I’ll probably spit it off – and help/tips are appreciated.

@captsaltyjack like i said, i just use external db service because i share 1 db yard for many apps

@aadams Better use (if you dont use MONGO_URL)

"setupMongo": true