I think I broke it - Version confusion - please help

Hi everybody,

Prelude (skip if you don’t feel like it):
so I started building an app with a friend about a year and a half ago (Version "METEOR@1.1.0.3"). Both of us got new jobs and didn’t really have much time to continue working on our app, which is why we put the operation on hold. In a technical way, I was more of the muscles where my buddy was the brains of the operation. I was fine building templates and doing some styling and database operations, but most of the more advanced stuff was just a little bit out of my reach (as at that point I only had like 2 months of experience with html, css, javascript, meteor, ios - just a little much). Anyhow, fast forward to today. I find myself having some time and trying to get back on the saddle. I read up on where meteor is today and realized a lot has happened since I last used it.
Since I had to start from scratch anyway, I decided to get some exposure to React and went through a few tutorials (including Wes Bos’). Was a pain to get react running because I had to repeatedly install and uninstall node and do some linking (frankly, I have very little idea of what I actually did there). But in the end it worked. Now my idea to is to refactor the old app to meteor + react. But for that I would very much need the old app to be running :smiley:

Actual problem:
I want to run a meteor application I built with an old version (1.1.0.3). I have since upgraded Meteor and the upgrade (or something else) has messed with some files and packages and now I can not start my app again (even after downgrading to 1.1.0.3 again).
Feel free to ask questions or for me to provide you with additional data (preferably with instructions for how to get the data)

Meteor V1.4:
I probably (because I always want to have the newest version) did something dumb. I upgraded Meteor to v1.4. I then tried to run meteor in our old project folder, but now it’s broken and it gives me the following error:

While building the application:
node_modules/fbjs/flow/lib/dev.js:10:9: Unexpected token var
node_modules/loose-envify/cli.js:1:15: Unexpected token ILLEGAL
node_modules/ua-parser-js/dist/ua-parser.html:1: bad formatting in HTML template

Git:
Git status shows that:

Changes not staged for commit:
(use “git add …” to update what will be committed)
(use “git checkout – …” to discard changes in working directory)

modified: packages
modified: versions

Untracked files:
(use “git add …” to include in what will be committed)

…/node_modules/

no changes added to commit (use “git add” and/or “git commit -a”)

Upgrading a Meteor 1.1 to a more recent Meteor version typically requires some refactoring and is best done by upgrading to one new Meteor version at a time (1.1 => 1.2 => 1.3 => 1.4).

Since you’re using Git for your app, you should be able to reset your .meteor folder to a state it had before the upgrade. If you only versioned packages and versions (which is not sufficient; you’ll need all the files on the top level of the .meteor folder), you could also create a new 1.1 app with meteor create --release 1.1.0.3 and copy all files excluding packages and versions to your app. After that, Meteor should be back to version 1.1.

1 Like

There were breaking changes along the way. Check them out here: https://github.com/meteor/docs/blob/version-NEXT/long-form/breaking-changes-1.2.md and look through the history for what has changed over time and how that might affect your app http://docs.meteor.com/changelog.html