Improving slow build/rebuild times

Hi everyone,

I’m back from paternity leave (with a healthy baby boy), and my new project is improving slow build and rebuild times. I’ll be using the 1.3 betas (branch release-1.3 or release 1.3-modules-beta.4 and counting), and I’ll start by getting an overview of where the time is going.

I’ve read the recent threads on this issue, and I don’t need more data or examples at this particular moment, but I wanted to start a conversation. Please do comment if I say something that differs vastly from your own experience running your app or you think I’m missing something.

To get orders of magnitude, I ran meteor a few times on a fresh new app (i.e. the skeleton) and on Wekan, and I found these rough timings:

• Rebuild due to changing a file: 5-12 seconds
  • App startup: 25-45 seconds
  • meteor build: 1-2 minutes

That sure seems high! Does anyone see very different numbers, such as rebuild times that are much greater than 12 seconds?

Thanks!
David

16 Likes

Congratulations, it’s good to have you back.

I get those times on my laptop with an SSD (~5s on a hello world app, ~12s on anything non trivial). On a non SSD laptop it’s 18+ secs to rebuild due to changing a file.

1 Like

I’m getting around these times too.
Very glad you took this challenge :smile: it is my main unpleasure in Meteor.

Hope this progresses soon, good luck.

Similar times here. However, after I’ve been working for a bit (> 30 minutes), without a server restart, I see the rebuild time creep up into the 20-30 second range. I’m not sure what causes it, so I’m not sure how helpful this is, sorry! I’m using a mixture of meteor packages, npm packages, and browserified (cosmos-browserify). After restarting the server I get back to the ranges described in the original post.

Same here. I’ll start to see times of 30 seconds or more after a while and only a hard restart brings things back down to the 12 second mark.

Thanks everyone.

I’m tracking this project here: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/6058

2 Likes