Install from choco gives errors with meteor commands. (windows)

I’ve uninstalled meteor and reinstalled it a few times now to try diagnose another issue. I reinstalled it using https://install.meteor.com/windows (executable) to see if could solve some of my problems and now when I install it with choco I get an error when I try to run any meteor commands. Even when I thoroughly uninstall it prior.
I have windows defender and a/v software completely disabled for install and running.

meteor --version
C:\Users\root\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.0_2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\tools\static-assets\server\mini-files.js:27
  if (p[0] === "\\" && (! partialPath)) {
       ^

TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of undefined
    at toPosixPath (C:\Users\root\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.0_2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\tools\static-assets\server\mini-files.js:27:8)
    at Object.convertToStandardPath (C:\Users\root\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.0_2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\tools\static-assets\server\mini-files.js:64:12)
    at Object.files.getHomeDir (C:\tools\fs\files.js:1376:13)
    at defaultWarehouseDir (C:\tools\packaging\tropohouse.js:31:43)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\tools\packaging\tropohouse.js:40:42)
    at Module._compile (module.js:652:30)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:663:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:565:32)
    at Module.Mp.load (C:\tools\tool-env\install-runtime.js:20:29)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:505:12)

When you uninstalled, did you delete the C:\Users\root\AppData\Local\.meteor\ directory?

Yeah all gone. I went back to the install exe but I have to reset my project or delete files to get it to start each time.

Oh i dont have the directory called C:\tools\ as mentioned above. Im pretty sure thats supposed to be C:\Users\root\AppData\Local.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.0_2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\tools but obviously the trace is still coming through hmm

For some reason I didn’t end up with METEOR_INSTALLATION in my system variables. I also opened an issue here. https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/10444