Installion Problems windows 10

Hi I cant seem to get it installed on windows 10 installed chocolatey and also restarted the PC loaded command as admin and it seems to get stuck at

Extracting C:\Users\ste\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\meteor\0.0.2\meteor-bootstrap-os.windows.x86_64.tar.gz to C:\Users\ste\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\meteor\0.0.2…
C:\Users\ste\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\meteor\0.0.2
Extracting C:\Users\ste\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\meteor\0.0.2\meteor-bootstrap-os.windows.x86_64.tar to C:\Users\ste\AppData\Local…

3rd time trying to install any help or ideas?

According to this post you are supposed to install it as yourself and not as admin

Tried that it it says it’s installed even though it not registering any meteor commands had no issues on my tower at work but nothing seems to work on laptop

No. The post says to install as the administrator and to run as the user. This is the correct method to install Meteor on Windows. If @southby has done it differently then he/she will need to manually clean up the old installation.

Not being a windows user I should have never replied :slight_smile: Thanks @robfallows for correcting it

1 Like

I tried to install Meteor and got the problem mentioned in this link:

My Chocolatey version is v0.10.15. I did install as an Admin by typing “choco install meteor”. My OS is Windows 10 Home.

What do I do next? Thanks.

Hi @shakervc, welcome to the forums!

I’m guessing from that link that you’re getting this error?

An error occurred while loading packages from ‘chocolatey.org/api/v2’: The operation has timed out.

If so, that looks like a network issue somewhere between you and chocolatey.org. Are you running a proxy?

Also, it’s better to post a new topic instead of bumping an old one. Especially since it looks like your error is different to the OP

Thanks, coagmano.

While the error message does say “The operation has timed out.”, it also says, “The package was not found with the source(s) listed. … NOTE: When you specify explicit sources, it overrides default sources.
If the package version is a prerelease and you didn’t specify --pre,
the package may not be found.”

I think that you ARE able to see my link. I have copied and pasted the entire message at the end of this reply.

I am not sure whether I am running a proxy.

MY ERROR MESSAGES:

C:\Windows\system32>choco install meteor
Chocolatey v0.10.11
Installing the following packages:
meteor
By installing you accept licenses for the packages.
[NuGet] An error occurred while loading packages from ‘https://chocolatey.org/api/v2/’: The operation has timed out.
meteor not installed. The package was not found with the source(s) listed.
Source(s): ‘https://chocolatey.org/api/v2/
NOTE: When you specify explicit sources, it overrides default sources.
If the package version is a prerelease and you didn’t specify --pre,
the package may not be found.
<>
Chocolatey installed 0/1 packages. 1 packages failed.
<>
Failures

meteor - meteor not installed. The package was not found with the source(s) listed.
Source(s): <<Link removed>>
NOTE: When you specify explicit sources, it overrides default sources.
If the package version is a prerelease and you didn't specify --pre,
the package may not be found.
Please see <<Link removed>> for more
assistance."

Yes, that doesn’t change anything. If you can’t connect to the package server at chocolatey.org I imagine it wouldn’t be able to find anything about the packages hosted there

I think that should have been obvious from me quoting the error from that link, something you didn’t provide in your original post

What happens if you try to visit ‘https://chocolatey.org/api/v2/’ in the browser?

Sometimes network issues can be old SSL root certificates, system clock out of date, or all sorts of other things.

I also noticed that your chocolatey version is slightly behind latest. Can you try updating chocolatey as well?
choco upgrade chocolatey will probably have the same problem, but it’s worth a try!
Otherwise try the instructions on their site

What happens if you try to visit ‘https://chocolatey.org/api/v2/’ in the browser?

I get a “Default Packages” response.

Can you try updating chocolatey as well?
choco upgrade chocolatey will probably have the same problem, but it’s worth a try!

I get the following respons:

chocolatey v0.10.15 is the latest version available based on your source(s).
Chocolatey upgraded 0/1 packages.

By the way, I installed chocolatey only a few minutes before trying to install meteor a couple of days ago. So, if something is slightly behind in version, something in my system is causing it. Also, v0.10.15 is my version. The error message I posted was what someone else got. His version was v0.10.11. I pointed out that my version is v0.10.15 in my original post.

think that you ARE able to see my link.

I think that should have been obvious from me quoting the error from that link, something you didn’t provide in your original post

No, it wasn’t obvious at all. Initially I was sure that my link didn’t get properly included in my original post. (That’s why I cut and pasted the entire message.) Gradually I began thinking that you may have seen my link, but there was still lingering doubt.

Sometimes network issues can be old SSL root certificates, system clock out of date, or all sorts of other things.

As far as I know, there are no problems accessing other sites.

Thanks for your help coagmano.

Let me mention here why I am interested in meteor. I have done some Web programming a few years ago.I never enjoyed the install/setup stage. I want to get back to it for play purposes. I was trying to choose between PHP, Python, and Node/JS for the back end and decided on Node/JS, which led to Meteor as the platform. My sense is that Meteor provides a single environment for both the front and the back end. My server will be hosted on my C drive as will my front end. If I can’t solve this problem quickly, I will probably move to Python/Django.

I am a retired programmer wanting to get back to coding for the Web. I have coded in several other languages but none strong enough. I never mastered Angular.

Thanks, again.