Introducing Nova: a React fork of Telescope

I’ve been thinking a lot about the future of Telescope lately. The app has been around for three years, and even though people have used it to create amazing things (Crater, CodeBuddies, CitizenLab, and dozens of other projects) the codebase was starting to show its age.

So I took a break, and ended up deciding to start a completely new fork using React and a more modern module-based architecture, which I’m calling Nova:

http://www.telescopeapp.org/blog/introducing-nova/

At the same time, I’ve also decided to target Telescope to a new audience. Rather than try and make something that works out of the box and try to please everybody, it’s now squarely aimed at developers who want to build a custom app.

So you can use it as a back-end for a React web app, or switch in Angular, or even build something completely different like an iOS or Android app.

As you can imagine this is a big change, so I’m not quite sure if this is the right move. But I’d love to get everybody’s feedback!

17 Likes

I can’t wait to try it!

Going to have a proper in depth look at this later, but I just wanted to say this sounds really exciting. As well as the value of the project itself, I think a big, real-world, fully-featured React/Meteor example codebase from a respected author will be a hugely valuable learning resource to the community too - thank you for the hard work.

2 Likes

The post reply summary is super cool, especially the avatars. In would be need in they where components where the summary info and image data are passed in as props.

I wrote a little more about how to get started with Nova and start contributing:

http://www.telescopeapp.org/blog/getting-started-with-nova/

The project is still brand new so I can definitely use all the help I can get! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Watched the youtube on how to get started. So, the base-components is the default UI.

I wanted to see if I can figure out how to add voting UI to base-components, but when I look in _nova-voting, there’s no UI templates! Where are the old blaze templates?

Also I get an error when I try to run Nova:

W20160229-18:47:31.109(-5)? (STDERR) /Users/otto/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.1.13-beta.11.1hflp5a++os.osx.x86_64+web.browser+web.cordova/mt-os.osx.x86_64/dev_bundle/server-lib/node_modules/fibers/future.js:267
W20160229-18:47:31.110(-5)? (STDERR) throw(ex);
W20160229-18:47:31.110(-5)? (STDERR) ^
W20160229-18:47:31.233(-5)? (STDERR) Error: Meteor.userId can only be invoked in method calls. Use this.userId in publish functions.
W20160229-18:47:31.233(-5)? (STDERR) at AccountsServer.userId (packages/accounts-base/accounts_server.js:82:13)
W20160229-18:47:31.233(-5)? (STDERR) at AccountsServer.user (packages/accounts-base/accounts_common.js:53:23)

Oh, the UI for this is actually in the posts package, sorry.

And regarding the error, it should be fixed now. If not drop by the Slack chatroom and we can work it out.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I have to install Newton theme on new Nova telescope.“Newton” theme is currently available for Telescope Legacy (Blaze based) version only.

I have installed Telescope Nova, tried to install Newton theme package using “meteor add” command. However, app crashes after it showing an error for updating the fourseven:scss package.

I tried to update the fourseven:scss package using “meteor update”, was unable to update as it shows npm error.
Can anyone help me