Is Angular dead in Meteor

I don’t see much discussion on Angular anymore. Am I wrong? Most threads that I have found are 2 years old.

[rant]
Personally, I never like the word “dead” in open source. The word dead needs to die from the Open Source ecosystem. It is the antithesis of everything open source stands for. Interest might decline, activity can become nill, but if that code is adding value somewhere, someone might just fork it and continue the journey, so if they is one person who is using it and willing to invest time in it, it will continue evolving, and that is all it takes. In a way, open-source is way more resilient than any private code, it is actually very tough to kill since it is cloned on many machines.

I remember when I was using gRPC more than a decade ago, a lot of senior people called it dead as JavaScript got better and Gogole shifted focus. Eventually, it was released as open-source and till today it has an active community. Another example is ParseJS, it was also declared dead a few years back, and maintained by one person for several years, but it has a very active community now.
[/rant]

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to share my perspective…

With that said, most of the focus is on the top/most popular view layers (React, Vue, Svelte) and of course Svelte.

2 Likes

@Urigo did some good work in getting Angular Meteor to work some time ago, but interest has indeed died off. Angular was always difficult (not just with Meteor), I personally gave up on it some time ago. React seems to work a whole lot easier, and once I got my head around it, I never looked back.
I don’t know who is still actively using Angular + Meteor - anyone out there?

@mikkelking thank you for your honesty. I have been standing on the edge of the precipice many times. Perhaps this is the time to take the jump into React. I have done POC’s but not enough to make a good decision. But I have been using NGXS with Angular and see the advantage of reactive development and state management.

Do you find that the Meteor framework helps with React? Should I go solo? I thought Meteor is for Mobile development. If I want to go that route why not use ReactNative? What is the advantage of React and Meteor?

Meteor is not just for mobile, but it does allow you to be desktop and moblle in one codebase.
In theory React is only the view layer, but in practice the database reactivity (AKA state) that Meteor brings means that you don’t need a lot of what Angular has, and you end up with a very smooth solution.

You can either use Redux or React context (my preference) for managing front end state (if you need to). Both these work very well, without the fuss that Angular brings. New React versions maintain compatiblity, but Angular keep making breaking changes. This starts getting very opinionated, but React is definitely not a bad choice, and has huge community, lots of active component and library development.

Thanks @mikkelking. I will take your words to consideration.

Sorry for the delay.

Meteor Angular integration is working and updated, read more here GitHub - Urigo/angular-meteor: Angular and Meteor - The perfect stack

And also @storyteller is migrating the Angular tutorial, the code will be published here GitHub - meteor/angular-tutorial

1 Like

Nice! I’ve been on the react track until now, but I might just need Meteor’s Angular integration in an upcoming new project.

If you have the choice, I would personally recommend Vue instead of React as a replacement for Angular, mainly because the template syntax is so similar - converting an Angular template to Vue would be much easier than converting it to JSX. This is probably because Evan You created Vue after working with Angular at Google.

I love Vue and use it in all my personal projects, but am forced to work with React and Angular projects at work (and Aurelia!). I find the Angular project much more similar to Vue so I have a higher productivity with Angular than React.

3 Likes