Is it possible to have a universal loading template for the app's main view in 1.3?

I’m in the middle of migrating an app from 1.2 to 1.3. Previously Iron Router made it pretty dang easy to show a loadingTemplate in its config. The Meteor Guide suggests a pattern where you render ‘pages’ that pass in data to their child component. I’m trying to replicate that UI experience where between each route the main section of the app shows the {{> loading}} template when the pages subscriptions aren’t ready.

I want to modularize this so i dont have to write this ready() block in every file
{{#if Template.subscriptionsReady}} {{> myTemplate}} {{else}} {{> loading}} {{/if}}

I tried using a block template helper but haven’t had any luck… Heres what my code looks like.

<template name="App_page_layout"> {{#if Template.subscriptionsReady}} {{> Template.contentBlock}} {{else}} {{> loading}} {{/if}} </template>

Then injecting a template inside of the helper

{{#App_page_layout}} {{> myTemplate}} {{/App_page_layout}}

The loading template never renders though. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice or help would be much appreciated.