Is the MUP still being maintained?

Hello, I am experimenting with meteor 3.0 transformations. Now I have come to the last step and I am trying to deploy my project that I wrote with meteor.js + svelte.js with mup. Before version 3, mup is working properly, but in the new version I am experiencing a hang as in the image below. I can connect with ssh and I can also send files with scp. Also, mup has not been maintained for a long time. Thanks for your answers.

For me it was the latest MUP version that caused exactly this issue so I used one of the older ones and it worked.

However, to answer the main title question you would have to ask @zodern about this one.

Another workaround for this issue is to run mup using node 20.9

1 Like

We haven’t tried Meteor 3 but I know with the beanstalk plugin at least we’ve had to use forks to solve issues. I think poor zodern has too many projects and not enough time. That really is something you’d hope would be maintained by Meteor itself. I know they want to make money from Galaxy but a robust deployment option to the cloud of your choice is vital for Meteor to succeed.

Please tell us more about mio @pmogollon

1 Like

Sure, www.miawhost.com is the continuation of waveshosting which was abandoned a couple of years ago. We at Propiedata forked it and fixed issues and made some improvements.

It just deploys an app to AWS elastic beanstalk and makes a bit easier to setup and manage than from the AWS console (which i dont like really).

Right now I wont use it for small apps, as the configuration defaults to use a load balancer which would add costs for benefits not required by small projects. Im thinking about adding settings to deploy without the load balancer as I have some small projects that dont require it.

About the planned features, it was something I though might be of interest by the community but it got no traction and I really dont use that much so I just didnt work on it. But if miaw is something people start using ill for sure take a look at the features that will have more impact.

If you want to try it out just register at www.miawhost.com and let me know what you think or if anything is broken you can reach me on discord as paulomogollon.

2 Likes

Can confirm this work around. I’m currently using nodenv to pin the node version used for my meteor projects.

1 Like

Ah, I had forgotten the name. I’m sold straight away on the logo and name :laughing:

I’ll make a note to try and check it out when we’re next updating.

Re: load balancers. What would be cool would be to be able to share one between projects so staging, production, test etc can all use the same one. We do that currently to keep costs down. Would MIAW handle it if it’s already setup like that ?

As for gaining traction, I’m not sure. I don’t know how popular a choice EB is here. We really like it and performance is great. Maybe a price/performance comparison with some other setups might drum up some interest ?

ps - your naked domain isn’t redirecting your www subdomain so the links don’t work.

@pmogollon I’m seeing a server can’t be found when I click the link.

Thanks for reviving waveshosting. I really liked it back in the day. I’m currently using railway but would definitely consider switching. I think a price/performance comparison like Mark mentioned would be helpful.

It’s just missing the subdomain: https://www.miawhost.com/ should work

1 Like

jaja it was just for fun at the time I created It and then it stuck with me.

It wont handle the same loadbalancer for multiple envs right now. But ill check it out as it would lower our costs too.

Well, im not sure about the performace side, for me is more about convenience. It just far easier to just deploy a new project and not have to think that much. And then to scale easily and from the go as things move on.

Im adding single instance rn, will check the share of the load balancer also and will fix the domain issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Ill have the price/perf in mind and would probably tackle it after single instances and load balancer sharing.

Thanks.

1 Like

Actually I found that it was not the latest MUP but the node version, MUP currently works only until Node 20.9.0, all newer versions fail.

Remedy with nvm:

$ nvm exec 20.9.0 mup deploy
1 Like

I’m not sure if the problem is in mup or not, but I think mup.js is very important for external deployment.

I use MUP, self maintained, from here: GitHub - paulincai/mup-upd. With it I deploy Meteor 3.0.2 with Node 20.15.1. I cannot deploy Meteor 2.15+ and for that I use another self maintained version which is the actual official version with some small NPM updates. I also use a self maintained ‘mup-aws-beanstalk’

3 Likes

@zodern are you still mantaining MUP? or is there anything we can do to help maintaining the project?

MUP is one of the core packages I use with all of my clients projects and would love to have the support for Meteor 3 (with latest node version) + use a mongo db version greater than 5.