Is there a free meteor hosting platform?

Hi everyone,

Coming back to app Dev, I naturally think to meteor :blush:

Is there a free hosting platform for personal meteor project ?

I heard about meteor-now, is it still compatible ?

Thanks for you help

2 Likes

meteor is training fast :wink:

Sorry, I donā€™t understand.

What do you mean ?

Iā€™m sorry, I mean the meteor is coming to life again

1 Like

AWS EC2 1 year free with new accounts (CC required), with your MongoDB in Atlas with the free plan.

4 Likes

You could host Meteor on Heroku using Meteor Buildpack horse:

For mongo you could use the free tier on mongo cloud

4 Likes

Wow, so easy to deploy on Heroku thanks to buildpack-horse !!:+1::+1::+1:

Question : How to set MONGO_URL to use the ā€œdefault localā€ meteor database ?

meteor-buildpack-horse/README.md at main Ā· AdmitHub/meteor-buildpack-horse Ā· GitHub speak about mongo_url.sh, but I donā€™t understand how to use that :pleading_face:

You canā€™t. All deployments are ā€œvolatileā€. That means that the containers in which Meteor runs will come and go, destroying your database. You could use MongoDB Atlasā€™s free tier to host your Mongo database on their cloud. My personal preference: https://www.mongodb.com/cloud/atlas

2 Likes

Oh, this is reactivity ! Thx @cloudspider.

Ok, I understand about volatility. Iā€™ll try Atlas.

@cloudspider, thx u, you avoid me lots of headache :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Np! Let me know if you face any other issues!

Hi @cloudspider,

I created an Atlas MongoDB.

Connection string from Atlas is :

mongodb+srv://myDbUsername:<password>@myTestapp-b7elw.mongodb.net/<dbname>?retryWrites=true&w=majority

What is the ā€œdbnameā€ for meteor apps ?

I tried to run

sudo heroku config:set MONGO_URL=ā€mongodb+srv://myDbUsername:myDbPassword@myTestapp-b7elw.mongodb.net/test?retryWrites=true&w=majorityā€

but it fails on Heroku server.

Any clue ?

Did you try to connect from local? 2 things:

• You need to whitelist the IP address for your localhost in the mongo cloud
  • whitelist heroku (not sure how that works. Its been a while. There will be docs somewhere)

Another thing is that its best to create a db via mongo cloud and assign a role for Meteor to connect to it and the oplog of that replica set

I whitelist all connexions for now (0.0.0.0/0).

Connecting and inserting datas from local, with mongo shell, is ok.

Running (from my local bash shell)

sudo heroku config:set MONGO_URL=ā€mongodb+srv://myDbUsername:myDbPassword@myTestapp-b7elw.mongodb.net/test?retryWrites=true&w=majorityā€

generates errors and stop meteor app starting process on Heroku.

Iā€™ll check for Heroku and dig error logs.

Thx @cloudspider

1 Like

Here we go :grinning:

Problem was that MONGO_URL var donā€™t accept assignement with ā€œā€ (quotation mark).

This is the way to do that (without quotation mark):

sudo heroku config:set MONGO_URL=mongodb+srv://<DbUsername>:<DbPassword>@xxx.mongodb.net/<database>?retryWrites=true&w=majority

Thx to everybody and special love to @cloudspider :blush:

2 Likes

Aw haha. Thatā€™s those little details that consumes our time! Great that it works now!

Sorry for my late reply to this thread. I also want to know more about this meteor hosting. Can you please help me here?

Meteor Cloud has a free tier and is the easiest way to deploy a Meteor app, free MongoDB included :wink:

You can use Push to Deploy to setup deployment directly from your repository commits: Push To Deploy | Galaxy Docs

3 Likes

FWIW, I wasted so much development time over the years with my self-hosting of Meteor, and while Iā€™m happy with where Iā€™m at now, if I could do it all over again I think Iā€™d have been better off just going with Meteor Cloud. (Although in my defense, itā€™s a better offering now than it was when I started.)

1 Like

You can also take a look at Railway paired with Mongo Atlas and see if itā€™s a good fit for you.