Iterating over a collection result one-by-one

How can i run a forEach on a collection but only move to the next item when the current item has finished being processed. Does meteor collection cursor have a next() feature? There is no sequential index to my collection so I cannot make new queries based on an Index.

Images.find( {} ).forEach( function(image){
   downloadImage( image.url, function(){
        next();  now that the downloadImage has returned, move on to the next image in the forEach 
   } )

Sorry don’t have code example, but maybe you can do a .fetch() on the Image collection, then iterate over the returned array.

Your downloadImage function may have to be a promise so you can let each image finish downloading and then proceed to the next one.

You don’t say whether you need this on the client or the server.

If it’s on the server, your requirement is satisfied using standard Meteor “sync-style” coding - as long as you use Meteor’s HTTP package* for your downloading (the non-callback form).

Promises (and async/await) seem to be a good alternative, but I don’t believe will address your requirement directly. So, if you need this on the client or want to use Promises on the server you will need to use something like promise-waterfall.

* or wrap a 3rd party function with Meteor.wrapAsync or Meteor.bindEnvironment.