Kadira improvements

Just a heads up that I have a PR open towards monti to remove underscore from the client side ( https://github.com/monti-apm/monti-apm-agent/pull/7 ), but I also am working on a larger refactoring, bringing it to modern ES standards. I work on it every now and then when I have a little time to spare, so it might form a good basis for further extensions.

2 Likes

From my side - with many APM packages and UI’s in existance, I’d like to see us move toward an API specification. To decouple the package from the server. Specifically, I’d like to see three things:

1. the ability to define arbitrary types, with custom UI without modifying the package, either by sending a configuration message to the server, or by allowing arbitrary styling information to be sent with each event (easier, but would cause dramatic overhead).
  2. the ability to define arbitrary groupings, not just methods, pub/sub, but potentially methods, pub/sub, defers, page views, anything else I want, e.g., tracking self-defined methods separately from package-defined methods.

These two things would mean that in the future package authors could extend their preferred APM package with other actions they would like to log, without having to modify a server they potentially dont control.

Yes, you are completely right. I am planning to do this when I complete my current apm package. It will be something that will collect events with time logs, then you decide what to do with this data, save it to db or send to elastic, kadira or something else.

1 Like

I have been working with the kadira-open/kadira-server code and have the UI upgraded from Meteor 1.4.3.2 to Meteor 1.8.3. The APM engine is running in-house in a local environment running on RedHat Enterprise Linux 7. A limited staff of in-house Meteor software developers is currently using our local fork of the Kadira APM.

I have provided one branch v1.0.0 that makes the original code serviceable. A second branch v2.0.0 will soon be posted that supports Meteor 1.8.3. I am currently working on an update to support the toolchain compatible with Meteor 1.11.1. These updates are based on Meteor and the packaged npm compatible tools.

Since Kadira is an implied trademark owned by the developer, and a recommendation has been made to rename the forks of the package, I am still trying to determine a proper name for my fork of the code.
The github repository is shathaway/kadira-server. I do not have a good name at this time for my fork of kadira-server.

Our work makes significant patches to:

• kadira-engine
  • kadira-rma
  • kadira-ui

Another upgrade will support RedHat Enterprise Linux 8.

4 Likes