Let's auto-generate mobile-config.js & resources for Cordova

Cordova works great but getting an app ready for production has a major annoyance: creating all the icons and splash screens for Android and iOS.

You need to create over 20 splash screen files and ~50 icon files to cover all your bases for Android and iOS. And if you need to change something… maybe you’re better off grabbing a beer.

It would be pretty neat if Meteor had a solution where you:

1. Upload a high resolution image of an icon and a splash screen
  2. Set the desired Cordova configuration visually
  3. Upon submit, get back a downloadable folder with the scaled images and mobile-config.js file pre-configured

I think we should build it. I’m up for designing it but need someone to help me with the back-end. Would someone like to do this with me, or would you guys be willing to crowdfund hiring someone off-shore? With the off-shore route, I think we can easily get it done in Rails/Django.

On a side note, I’ve seen some generators out there but I couldn’t get their stuff to fit with Meteor’s way. I think it would be really nice if we had an up-to-date, Meteor-specific solution. It could be designed to educate people about Cordova for Meteor as they use it too.

7 Likes

Been there, hated the asset creation and went to an online tool. However, I think we should be able to get this done without a web app and rather a package that adds a build step to take a specific single image and turn it into the required assets. I’d hate to go to a website, upload an image, download the results into my app - just let me do it all within my dev context. I am already typing something into terminal, so why not

`meteor add community:create-mobile-assets-ios`

Then read the image path from the settings file and - bam - we’re done at the next meteor build :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This might be a good starting point:

2 Likes

I like the idea of a package that does this. I’ll throw something together quick.

3 Likes

Linking to the double post from crater. http://crater.io/posts/QHNZzJNKzuxhK2mxE

@slava Ah, that one points here :slight_smile: looks like we created an infinity loop.

@andrewreedy looking forward to seeing what you cook up

Check it https://github.com/meteorhybrid/asset-builder

I’m going to have predefined types for all of the standard platform icons and also allow you to do custom resizes / % optimizations for normal images to help with load speed.

4 Likes

@andrewreedy

Thank you!
Well done - looking forward to all the other stuff you want to add.

Asset builder doesn’t appear to create splash images or a mobile-config.js file for you.

If you need either of those things:

5 Likes