Login and register don't show errors correctly

Hello. I have the following components that worked correctly when the login and register were on separate pages. I decided to put them on the same page and they stopped working. I realized that both forms were using the same id for the form elements, so I corrected that.

Now, I can login with a registered email address, and I can register a new account correctly. However, when I try to register an account that exists, or my login is not found, I do not get the error messages. Instead it just stays on the screen, clears the forms, and displays no messages. I’m using the package “themeteorchef:jquery-validation” and the code is practically copy and pasted from the examples (though it might have been from a tutorial, I can’t remember which off hand.)

I just can’t find what is wrong. The console shows the correct error “User not found” when I try to login with an unregistered email address, but I get error.reason = “Need to set a username or email” if I try to register an email that already exists.

CJRegister = React.createClass({

handleSubmit(event) {
    event.preventDefault();
  },

componentDidMount: function() {
    let validator = $('.register').validate({
      submitHandler: function(event) {
        const email = $('[name=RegisterEmail]').val();
        const password = $('[name=registerPassword]').val();
        Accounts.createUser({
          email: email,
          password: password
        }, function (error){
          if(error) {
            console.log(error);
            console.log(error.reason);
            if(error.reason === 'Email already exists.') {
              validator.showErrors({
                email: ' That email belongs to a registered user.'
              });
            }
          } else {
            FlowRouter.go('list');
          }
        });
      }
    });
  },

render() {
    return(
      <div className='registerComponent'>
        <form className='register' onSubmit={this.handleSubmit}>
          <p>Email: <input type='email' name='registerEmail' required /></p>
          <p>Password: <input type='password' name='registerPassword' required /></p>
          <p><input type='submit' value='Register' /></p>
        </form>
      </div>
    );
  }
});

CJLogin = React.createClass({

handleSubmit(event) {
    event.preventDefault();
  },

componentDidMount: function() {
    let validator = $('.login').validate({
      submitHandler: function(event) {
        const email = $('[name=loginEmail]').val();
        const password = $('[name=loginPassword]').val();
        Meteor.loginWithPassword(email, password, function(error) {

if(error) {
            console.log(error);
            if(error.reason === 'User not found'){
              validator.showErrors({
                email: ' ' + error.reason
              });
            }
            if(error.reason === 'Incorrect password'){
              validator.showErrors({
                password: ' ' + error.reason
              });
            }
          } else {
            FlowRouter.go('list');
          }
        });
      }
    });
  },

render() {
      return(
        <div id='CJLoginComponent'>
          <form className='login' onSubmit={this.handleSubmit}>
            <p>Email: <input type='email' name='loginEmail' required /></p>
            <p>Password: <input type='password' name='loginPassword' required /></p>
            <p><input type='submit' value='Login' /></p>
          </form>
        </div>
      );
    }
});
4 Likes

To clarify, here are the error messages in the console (no messages in the browser window). When I try to login with an unregistered email:

errorClass {error: 403, reason: "User not found", details: undefined, message: "User not found [403]", errorType: "Meteor.Error"}details: undefinederror: 403errorType: "Meteor.Error"message: "User not found [403]"reason: "User not found"stack: (...)get stack: get stack()set stack: set stack()__proto__: Middle

Exception in delivering result of invoking 'login': TypeError: Cannot read property 'type' of undefined

And if I try to register an email that already exists:

errorClass {error: 400, reason: "Need to set a username or email", details: undefined, message: "Need to set a username or email [400]", errorType: "Meteor.Error"}

I tracked one of the errors to a difference in capitalization when i renamed my elements. So now at least the correct errors are being detected. But both forms still will not display my error message on the page. Instead, the form clears and no message is displayed. This message in the console seems to be key, but I cannot find how to solve it. Any ideas?

Exception in delivering result of invoking 'login': TypeError: Cannot read property 'type' of undefined

As I said earlier, these two forms used to show the correct error messages when it was one per page. However, now I tried deleting one of the forms so it was just one on the page, and I received the same message the in console.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like