Making Vue 3 - Learnings for Meteor

Evan You recently released an article about why and how they’ve rewritten Vue 2 to Vue 3. It might be interesting to us and especially the Meteor core team to see how we can learn from this for maybe a Meteor v2 that leverages a bunch of new features, but with the same API?

It might help us some of the core issues that Meteor has been struggling with like for example:

• Lerna / monorepo support
  • SSR & Hydration for Minimongo
  • HMR by design
  • etc…
2 Likes

@evanyou did a great job on that article! Really nice read! I think it shows the thoughtfulness that has gone into Vue. @filipenevola and @benjamn might enjoy this :sunglasses:

I think @zodern is working on a view layer agnositic HMR solution for Meteor, here is the thread where he shared a preview.

The Meteor team, especially @benjamn, has done a lot of similar great work on Meteor over the years :heart:Maybe usually with a greater focus on the backend aspects & build system, which is part of why I think Meteor & Vue are such joys to work with as a combo.

I think it would be cool to work as a community in trying to “Map” the architecture of Meteor visually, at least the core packages & common advanced architecture configs. Meteor is becoming much more of a community supported open-source project vs. it’s original roots as a VC funded startup with a big internal team. But the Meteor dream is alive & well! And I really do think Meteor was just “early” in the market. The market, especially the enterprize side, wanted something like Apollo, but Meteor provides the magic for smart teams who want to do more with less resources (10x gains or more).

I had to look up a press release form 2012 when Andressen Horowitz closed a round of funding for Meteor. This really shares WHY Meteor was built in the first place, which seems to have gotten lost lately with JS devs getting a bit overwhelmed about how to build their front-ends.

Meteor has grown into a great framework for advanced devs & projects too, so things like Lerna support seem to be more common requests.

2 Likes