MDG acquires Kadira APM

Sure, there are several reasons why I wouldn’t deploy on Galaxy (don’t forget this is only my personal point of view):

1. Galaxy is new and MDG is not a hosting company
In this case I don’t know if they will still exists in 1-2 years. If you see how they had shut down the free hosting (the first announcement came 2 weeks before the planned shutdown), this is not trustful to me. The free hosting was uneconomical, I totally understand that. But how can a company ignore that they have to pay 10.000$ per week for a free demo hosting for such a long time? The shutdown should happen much earlier, so I had the impression that something internally goes wrong.

If Galaxy doesn’t make enough money, will they erase all data within 2 weeks too, because they recognize the economic situation too late? Another reason is the missing MongoDB hosting. Galaxy should be the #1 Meteor hosting solution, but MDG is not able to provide MongoDB hosting, because it is too difficult. How should I understand that? The guys who choose MongoDB for their strack and now want to provide a hosting solution, don’t have the knowledge/resources to provide a full service hosting solution for their own framework? This would lead mead to the question if this whole Galaxy thing was well planned and if they have enough employees to provide a professional hosting service?

2. Support
If you take a look into the forum, you will see some threads like this one. Some people got an answer after 9 days of waiting. This isn’t acceptable and would be a reason to cancel a contract. Also no one from MDG has posted an answer or information within that thread. Would a professional provider do that? If someone searches for Galaxy hosting and will find that posting without any statement from MDG, he may choose another provider. This only happens if companies are not well organized (I know that some bigger providers also have such issues, f.e. some departments of OVH). But this shouldn’t happen, especially if you are small.

3. I want to be flexible
Most of my/our applications are not only Meteor apps. We also use some Express apps that are connected via DDP to our Meteor server and provide some services, f.e. file uploads or video conversion. They are running on single VPS systems or dedicated servers. If I use Galaxy, I have to stay at the Amazon ecosystem if my servers should be located in the same data center. But Amazon may be not the best economical decision, there are also some others providers which may be cheaper and provide some features that I would need.

4 Likes