Meteor 1.3 and Meteor 1.2.1: backwards compatible?

I have a project which is mostly in a package based architecture currently. Is it going to be possible to upgrade my project, and still use all the same local packages?

Yup, for the most part.

I have spent some time upgrading, and things still work with the latest RC.

The exception to this was some edge cases where I passed a component as a property, like
<Component label=<Label>hello</Label> />

Just don’t do that.

2 Likes

Make sure you read the upgrade guide though, and watch out for breaking changes.

If you use React in a package for example, you need to switch the dependency on the atmosphere package into an NPM dependency.

1 Like

If the packages are shared with utility apps or other microservices, be careful about having them all upgraded at the same time. A common backwards-incompatibility scenario is that a) the main app gets upgraded, b) new packages are added that have 1.2 or 1.3 dependencies (I’m looking at you ecmascript and isopack2), c) then those packages get added to secondary utilities or microservices, d) things blow up on the secondary app.

Otherwise, all the 1.0.x and 1.1.x packages seem to be working fine in 1.2 environments. Jury is still out in 1.3 though.

Yeah… I’m running into file load issues and other randomness now. I’d wait if I didn’t have a lot of time to spare.