Meteor 1.3 and Xcode 8 not getting along

Meteor 1.3 and Xcode 8 do not get along. Lots of Swift errors due to version 3 of Swift but even setting Swift to previous version leaves a number of errors and the project will not build. Workaround is to use Xcode 7 :slight_smile:

Jeff

Same problem here. Have you found any fix other than using Xcode 7?

+1 on this, not able to build running on Xcode 8 even with legacy swift set to YES.

Now that iOS 10 has been released and Xcode 8 isn’t in beta anymore, is there any progress to report on this from Meteor?

My experience is that after upgrading to xCode my builds are not properly running on iOS10 devices. The same build works fine I Mac OS El Cap and iOS 9.3.5

I thought it was my upgrade to iOS 10 this past week but I’m concluding it’s xCode 8.

And is it a Meteor issue that will get a fix to work with Xcode 8 soon or do we keep trying with Xcode 8 updates whenever they come along?

I’m also having problems with Meteor 1.2 :frowning:

I can run it in the development environment, if I accept to convert Swift 2.3 (there are no changes to my source code required). But as soon as I try to make a production build, an error is thrown. I guess it is because the legacy Swift flag is not being set.

I’ve also got the problem that code signing does not work properly, I always have to set the development team manually. Maybe the build failure is based on this.

Here’s my output:

=> Errors executing Cordova commands:         

While building Cordova app for platform iOS:
   Error:                                     
   /Users/waldgeist/Documents/Development/htdocs/jobguzz/webapp/.meteor/local/cordova-build/platforms/ios/cordova/build:
   Command failed with exit code 2 Error output:
   ** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
   Check dependencies
   (1 failure)
   Error code 65 for command: xcodebuild with args:
   -xcconfig,/Users/waldgeist/Documents/Development/htdocs/jobguzz/webapp/.meteor/local/cordova-build/platforms/ios/cordova/build-release.xcconfig,-project,jobguzz.xcodeproj,ARCHS=i386,-target,jobguzz,-configuration,Release,-sdk,iphonesimulator,build,VALID_ARCHS=i386,CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR=/Users/waldgeist/Documents/Development/htdocs/jobguzz/webapp/.meteor/local/cordova-build/platforms/ios/build/emulator,SHARED_PRECOMPS_DIR=/Users/waldgeist/Documents/Development/htdocs/jobguzz/webapp/.meteor/local/cordova-build/platforms/ios/build/sharedpch
   at ChildProcess.whenDone
   (/Users/waldgeist/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.1.10.195lp5z++os.osx.x86_64+web.browser+web.cordova/mt-os.osx.x86_64/dev_bundle/lib/node_modules/cordova-lib/src/cordova/superspawn.js:139:23)
   at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:98:17)
   at maybeClose (child_process.js:766:16)
   at Socket.<anonymous> (child_process.js:979:11)
   at Socket.emit (events.js:95:17)
   at Pipe.close (net.js:466:12)

Update: seems as if my build fail is indeed caused by code signing. Here’s a good explanation what has to be fixed in the Xcode project to make things work again:

http://radex.io/xcode7-xcode8/

If I run a dev build and fix the settings manually (i.e. set Swift to legacy version and set the provisioning profile), I can to a prod build afterwards. I am now looking for a way to automate this via a Cordova build script.

The released version of iOS 10 broke my app as well. I just spins in the startup screen. It broke this way with an iOS 9 update earlier this year. Doing a meteor update and recompile fixed it but that will be difficult until Xcode 8 is supported. Had at least one Android update kill the Android version as well and this is not a complicated app.

I like Meteor but the apps sure are brittle.

I just used this and it worked. You just have to convert the code to Swift 3 as Xcode suggests. It will tell you that there is no need to update, then it worked like a charm:-)

meteor add cordova:cordova-plugin-meteor-webapp@https://github.com/meteor/cordova-plugin-meteor-webapp.git#8bf95eed3f313299fc2de33658866278eea2cdc5

link for the updated branch https://github.com/meteor/cordova-plugin-meteor-webapp/tree/swift3

Mine is actually a web app, not a native / Cordova app … but I think the XCode 8 upgrade broke things anyway

Do you get any console error?

I’m getting this error now :

Failed to parse SourceMap: http://local host:3000/packages/3stack:bignumber/bignumber.browserify.js

I’m running the app as a web app. It works on my iOS 9 device but not fully on my iOS 10 device

Any ideas please?