Meteor 1.3 eating RAM and CPU

Hi All,

First post so sorry for it being a negative one. I have generally been very impressed with Meteor up until this point.

Unfortunately, for me, 1.3 is not working well. The initial symptom is a doubling of required RAM. I have also seen constant CPU usage even with no clients but I dont have evidence to back that up yet.

Using the simple-todos aop with 1.2.1 I use about 160MB for the main node process.
Upgrading to 1.3 this expands to 300MB. The images below show this in action on my windows machine. I have noticed the same thing on our linux production box.

I see the same problem in my own app which is now chugging through 1.7GB of RAM (previously less than 1GB) with no clients.

Can anyone help please?

here is a screengrab with 1.2.1:

and here is the same with 1.3:

Did you check if thatā€™s still the case in production environment?

How long did you wait? On Mac I had no issues, a developer on Linux did. After a while (hour or so) the background processes for updating seem to be done and then it is ok again.

I had exactly the same issue. Iā€™ve since re-installed meteor:

rm -rf ~/.meteor
curl https://install.meteor.com | sh

and all is well again. May be coincidence.

3 Likes

Personally, I would give away even 5GB of ram in exchange for faster reloadsā€¦

Are reloads really that slow? Iā€™ve been working on a large project with 1.3 and react and am always amazed at the speed at which code reloads occur.

I guess its not on mid 2012 MacBook :frowning: (16GB ram, 2.3 GHz i7, Hard Drive)

For me (2013 Macbook Pro, i5, SSD) it takes about 3 seconds to reload after client change, and about 10 seconds after change in lib folder, on Meteor 1.3 (app which wasnā€™t refactored to use modules yet). Which isnā€™t exactly blazingly fast, but manageable.

Thank you! This seemed to resolve the problem :))

1 Like

I experience the same problem on my computer but itā€™s mainly the CPU usage that is bugging me. My computer runs hot and the fans kick in as soon as I run my app.

I installed Meteor 1.3 yesterday and tried removing and reinstalling it today (as per robfallows suggestion). Anyone know what the issue is?

Seems my issue was that I was running the app with npm start.

1 Like

You can use the NPM that Meteor provides for you, this resolved the issue for me: meteor npm start

1 Like

@dufia Consider trying a ramdisk. It wonā€™t give you all the speed you want, but it will improve build time substantially.

Iā€™m seeing my CPU at 176% too. No idea whats caused it :frowning: Just started happening (seemingly) for no apparent reason.

Iā€™m starting Meteor with the ā€˜meteorā€™ command however.

Any ideas?

Same number 176%, ā€œthe solutionā€ was upgrading to 1.4 and now it is <1%ā€¦

I think this issue arises if you have Meteor 1.3 installed but you project is running on 1.2.*. Would be good if someone could confirm though.

No, itā€™s when you run apps on older Meteor versions using the Meteor 1.4 tool. Once the new (1.4) command line tool has downloaded, which it does automatically in the background, youā€™re actually starting your older apps using the 1.4 version of the tool. Updating apps to 1.4 fixes this problem (but it may raise other problems - beware!).

Refer to this thread: Heavy CPU use after tool update to 1.4 and the associated issue on github: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/7491#issuecomment-235655623.

The workaround given there is to start your older apps with the older meteor tool. i.e. instead of typing ā€¦

meteor

ā€¦ to start your app, paste:

Mac

~/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/1.3.5_1/mt-os.osx.x86_64/meteor

Linux

~/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/1.3.5_1/mt-os.linux.x86_64/meteor
3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen meteor constantly checking for files having changed (in dev mode). This makes my fan run crazy, and the process continually is runningā€¦ I found a way to set an environment variable that will get it to run this file change detection once every 30 seconds thereby calming my CPU significantly: on Windoze:

set METEOR_WATCH_POLLING_INTERVAL_MS=30000