Meteor 1.4 just released!

I have deployed an 1.4 app to Galaxy without struggle. Where are you deploying your app?

Iā€™ve found that when you update to meteor 1.4, the meteor packagesā€™s toolchain get updated except for the ones in the packages folder. I had to do an meteor remove mypackage && meteor add mypackage and got it working again. Another issue is that every time I change the package version I have to repeat the procedure: remove and add the package again.

Running a meteor update seems to have got me stuck. Event if I create a new app using meteor create test I cannot run the default boiler plate app. All I see is the following error message:

Unexpected mongo exit code 100. Restarting.
Canā€™t start Mongo server.
MongoDB had an unspecified uncaught exception.
This can be caused by MongoDB being unable to write to a local database.
Check that you have permissions to write to .meteor/local. MongoDB does
not support filesystems like NFS that do not allow file locking.

Anyone else seeing this? I am running Ubuntu Trusty Tahr. How do I downgrade to 1.3 ?

@timebandit, @joadr and others - Please use our guidelines to submit a clear bug report including reproduction. We are unable to debug issues via the forums.

I think you have to run meteor reset

Iā€™m deploy to my own dedicated server on EC2 with mupx, mup and kadira/mup last night. All of these where broken for me. So I reverted. The problem is the docker image has node 0.40 set inside

2 Likes

Done https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/7511 thanks :thumbsup:

HI, with windows 10 I canā€™t update from meteor 1.3, I get gyp errorsā€¦

=> Errors while initializing project:

While loading package npm-bcrypt@0.8.7:
error: Command failed:
C:\Users\mbj\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.4.0\mt-os.windows.x86_32\dev_bundle\bin\npm.cmd rebuild
--no-bin-links --update-binary
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: `C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe` failed with exit code: 1
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onExit
(C:\Users\mbj\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.4.0\mt-os.windows.x86_32\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\build.js:276:23)
gyp ERR! stack     at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:172:7)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:200:12)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.10586
gyp ERR! command
"C:\\Users\\mbj\\AppData\\Local\\.meteor\\packages\\meteor-tool\\1.4.0\\mt-os.windows.x86_32\\dev_bundle\\bin\\node.exe"
"C:\\Users\\mbj\\AppData\\Local\\.meteor\\packages\\meteor-tool\\1.4.0\\mt-os.windows.x86_32\\dev_bundle\\lib\\node_modules\\node-gyp\\bin\\node-gyp.js"
"rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd
C:\Users\mbj\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\npm-bcrypt\0.8.7\npm\node_modules\.temp-1i255ni\node_modules\bcrypt
gyp ERR! node -v v4.4.7
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.4.0
gyp ERR! not ok

npm ERR! Windows_NT 10.0.10586
npm ERR! argv
"C:\\Users\\mbj\\AppData\\Local\\.meteor\\packages\\meteor-tool\\1.4.0\\mt-os.windows.x86_32\\dev_bundle\\bin\\node.exe"
"C:\\Users\\mbj\\AppData\\Local\\.meteor\\packages\\meteor-tool\\1.4.0\\mt-os.windows.x86_32\\dev_bundle\\lib\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js"
"rebuild" "--no-bin-links" "--update-binary"
npm ERR! node v4.4.7
npm ERR! npm  v3.10.5
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! bcrypt@0.8.7 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the bcrypt@0.8.7 install script 'node-gyp rebuild'.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the bcrypt package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR!     node-gyp rebuild
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
npm ERR!     npm bugs bcrypt
npm ERR! Or if that isn't available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR!     npm owner ls bcrypt
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR!
C:\Users\mbj\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\npm-bcrypt\0.8.7\npm\node_modules\.temp-1i255ni\npm-debug.log
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: `C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe` failed with exit code: 1
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onExit
(C:\Users\mbj\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.4.0\mt-os.windows.x86_32\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\build.js:276:23)
gyp ERR! stack     at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:172:7)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:200:12)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.10586
gyp ERR! command
"C:\\Users\\mbj\\AppData\\Local\\.meteor\\packages\\meteor-tool\\1.4.0\\mt-os.windows.x86_32\\dev_bundle\\lib\\node_modules\\node-gyp\\bin\\node-gyp.js"
"rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd
C:\Users\mbj\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\npm-bcrypt\0.8.7\npm\node_modules\.temp-1i255ni\node_modules\bcrypt
gyp ERR! node -v v4.4.7
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.4.0
gyp ERR! not ok

npm ERR! Windows_NT 10.0.10586
npm ERR! argv
"C:\\Users\\mbj\\AppData\\Local\\.meteor\\packages\\meteor-tool\\1.4.0\\mt-os.windows.x86_32\\dev_bundle\\lib\\node_modules\\npm\\bin\\npm-cli.js"
"rebuild" "--no-bin-links" "--update-binary"
npm ERR! node v4.4.7
npm ERR! npm  v3.10.5
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! bcrypt@0.8.7 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the bcrypt@0.8.7 install script 'node-gyp rebuild'.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the bcrypt package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR!     node-gyp rebuild
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
npm ERR!     npm bugs bcrypt
npm ERR! Or if that isn't available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR!     npm owner ls bcrypt
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR!
C:\Users\mbj\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\npm-bcrypt\0.8.7\npm\node_modules\.temp-1i255ni\npm-debug.log

1 Like

Always the same story: not a Meteor upgrade without its load of error messages.
Really getting tired of thisā€¦

While minifying app stylesheet:
path.js:8:11: Path must be a string. Received null
at assertPath (path.js:8:11)
at Object.posix.relative (path.js:496:3)
at pathRelative (packages/minifier-css/minifier.js:206:1)
at packages/minifier-css/minifier.js:165:1
at Array.forEach (native)
at Function..each..forEach (packages/underscore/underscore.js:105:1)
at packages/minifier-css/minifier.js:122:1
at rewriteRules (packages/minifier-css/minifier.js:99:1)
at Object.CssTools.rewriteCssUrls (packages/minifier-css/minifier.js:85:1)
at packages/minifier-css/minifier.js:55:1
at Object.CssTools.mergeCssAsts (packages/minifier-css/minifier.js:32:1)
at packages/minifyStdCSS/plugin/minify-css.js:79:1
at CssToolsMinifier.processFilesForBundle
(packages/minifyStdCSS/plugin/minify-css.js:17:1)

EDIT:
seems like it is a gulp issueā€¦

Did you read the migration guide?

1 Like

ā€œmeteor createā€, ā€œmeteorā€ and ā€œmeteor updateā€ download meteor-tools each time!
I donā€™t mind getting Meteor 1.4 but DOWNLOADING STUFF ALL AT THE SAME TIME IS NOT GOOD FOR ANY OF US, hence this slowliness at getting something working these days.
Yeah, I needed to shout, because itā€™s getting really bad.

My solution: Cut the wifi, start meteor, enable wifi. Next step might be to shut down the computer to make it work?

One time I forgot to re-enable the wifi and I still got the message ā€œ=> A patch (Meteor 1.4.0.1) for your current release is available!ā€, so Iā€™m pretty sure I already had the last meteor-tools for my version without needing to download it again and aagin and agian.

1 Like

Weā€™ve fixed the CPU issue by releasing 1.4.0.1. Some users are reporting slow or stuck updates, which weā€™re now investigating.

2 Likes

I watched this video a month or two ago and even for Mongo < 3.0, I found it tremendously helpful. Thanks for this.

2 Likes

Did not update to 1.4, only (auto)updated meteor-tool 1.4 and yetā€¦

dev server starts downloading tool 1.4.0.1,
Once it finishes few minutes pass as meteor goes out of memory and starts all over again.

I read that doing a Meteor Reset will wipe the MongoDB as stated here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21272446/error-with-mongo-starting-meteor

I wasnā€™t too worried about wiping my mongodb, and Meteor Reset worked like a charm.

Thanks @khamoud. May I ask, what did it help you with? How did you make use of his video? I am thinking of installing and running Mongo on an EC2 instance instead of using a service like Compose. @joshowens would your video help me do that?

Indexing was something that I didnā€™t fully understand. After watching his video it helped me get a better understanding of how, what, and when to index something.

2 Likes

No, my video wouldnā€™t help at all with that. I am sure there are plenty of videos on youtube that show you how to setup a containerized (docker) version of Mongo, or how to setup a mongo replicaset. Personally with options like Compose and Atlas, I donā€™t see much reason to mess with those configs unless you are a high end db user

2 Likes

Getting the exact same Error. Did you find a fix for it?
App is still working as expected though, but I prefer to see 0 errors when starting.

The same happened to me when I was trying to upgrade from 1.2.1 to 1.4.1.

I gave up trying to update and simply did a fresh installl of meteor, add all my packages, copied my project files and everything worked at once. The experience is very good, because 1.4.1 seems to have a hot reload feature that works very well (in version 1.2.1 I expierenced very slow build proces on every file change). Working with meteor is a joy again.

The steps I took:

• I saved a list of alle my installed packages (command: meteor list)
  • I did a fresh install of meteor (curl https://install.meteor.com/ | sh ) That is on osx/linux. For windows, use the installer
  • I create a new app: meteor create myapp
  • I copied all my source files to the new app
  • I added missing packages.

and that was it.

1 Like