Meteor 1.6 Fixes iOS icon problems!

Last month I complained that Meteor didn’t export to iOS Xcode nicely, and had to manually re-import all my icons.

Meteor 1.6 made a solid fix for it!

Thanks MDG!

2 Likes

Actually, some things to notice with that fix:

1. Bug entered into Meteor Issues DB 2 days ago by community member @markoshust.
  2. Fixed by a community member @skirunman almost right away.
  3. @benjamn accepted the pull request very quickly and it is in v1.5.3 & v1.6.

Meteor has built review systems and procedures for involving the community and with an active community we all get a much better product.

Suggestion: Dive in!

• Feel free to enter issues into the Meteor DB. Just follow their guidelines (which you will see as the default text in your new issue). Maybe it would have been fixed close to a month ago when you first identified the issue?
  • If you are feeling ambitious or have an immediate need; try to build a pull request that fixes your problem. A pull request is a lot easier for the MDG folks to respond to. Before you develop it, etiquette is to discuss what you will do in the bug and get approval from an MDG member. Otherwise, you may put a lot of work in and discover that it is being worked elsewhere so your PR may not be approved.

Now that @skirunman has solved the problem, feel free to go to the PR and let him know you appreciate his help! Hooray, Thumbs up or Heart…

3 Likes

Meteor has always been lights-out with support. I don’t get this good of a support from my paid plans :smile:

Is there a way to indicate in the mobileConfig file that you don’t want any image for the old icons/screenshots.

It is a small whine, but I have to go in and delete them myself b/c cordova puts their defaults in if you don’t specify a deprecated image… and Apple well reject your app if you forget to remove it. (b/c the cordova icon is “misleading/different” from the app store icon)

You must have them ALL.

I haven’t found any good generators. Why the hell xCode can’t run an import and size tool is friggin beyond me…

You’re screwed, so far as I can tell – you have to do it all manually.

I’ve used this to generate icons and splashes with great success:

Also, I used the latest version of Firefox to go into responsive design mode (and you can select a device model too - I chose iPhone 5s) with the Meteor app running, then right click and select Take Screenshot. Click the download button, save to local disk, and it will have the correct dimensions for loading into iTunesConnect.

So yes, have to do that manually, but the icon and splash generator is a good tool.

Hope that helps.

The “missing” icons I’ve shown above are not required to get app store approval. I manually delete them. My app runs >= iOS8. Be removing deprecated splash screens and icons my app is several MBs smaller. What I’d like is to have my build process NOT stuff the meteor default or the cordova default screens/icons into the bundle.

Like I said, it is a SMALL complaint that I have to clean these up.