Meteor App update help needed

i started an application in meteor 1.3 three years ago in Cloud 9 environment, but as probably you know could 9 was bought by amazon and now is part of AWS. I got the code in a Github repository and would like to continue developing. The project was updated to Meteor 1.6.0.1 and Node in the production machine is 8.9.4 and npm 5.6.0. I would like a way to install a similar environment where i can migrate the project to the actual version. I had the working copy on the production server but would love to implement new features.

Is there any way i can do that, any try i did throw me a lot of errors

hope you can help me guys

thanks

Could you please clarify this: you said you have your code in GitHub, so did you try and clone it locally in your environment? Not entirely understandable where is it that you are trying to add new features.

A production server runs your code differently from your local meteor environment. Itā€™s here where you edit the code.

I suggest you start here: https://guide.meteor.com/

Yes, sorry if I didnā€™t explain me properly. I wanna try to develop in a Mac book pro with Catalina Os, so I clone the GitHub repo using github desktop on Mac and ve into de repo folder and try to run the project

I event use curl ā€œhttps://install.meteor.com/ | sed se/1.10.1/1.6.0.1/ā€˜ |sh and install de same version I have in the production environment but got so many errors when try tu run.

I even thinking in restart the Mac with a fresh Catalina installation to can have the same version of node and non than in the working node.

But wanna see if there could be an option no so drastic, to make it run it

Thanks

Did you run meteor npm install in the root directory of your app? Iā€™m assuming by now the app would have a package.json file with a few dependecies listed in it. Those need to be installed.

EDIT: you donā€™t need to worry about the Node version in your system, as Meteor runs its own local copy of Node.
EDIT2: you also donā€™t need to worry about the Meteor version, because even the newest binary will still run your app. Unless you have executed meteor update inside the app folder, that is.

1 Like

Also, if the .meteor folder is intact, then running meteor in the app folder will download the correct meteor version, download the correct versions of the packages, and use the corresponding npm version of that running meteor.

1 Like

Hi there, yes I try to run Meteor npm install just after clone the
repository but got lot of errors

An yes, you are right i have a package.json file inside .meteor directory
that has all this dependencies i was adding during the implementation

Meteor packages used by this project, one per line.

ā€˜meteor addā€™ and ā€˜meteor removeā€™ will edit this file for you,

but you can also edit it by hand.

ecmascript@0.9.0
accounts-password@1.5.0
#accounts-google@1.0.11
service-configuration@1.0.11
twbs:bootstrap
momentjs:moment
mizzao:tutorials
zimme:active-route
useraccounts:iron-routing
meteor-base@1.2.0
mobile-experience@1.0.5
mongo@1.3.1
blaze-html-templates
session@1.1.7
jquery@1.11.10
tracker@1.1.3
logging@1.1.19
reload@1.1.11
random@1.0.10
ejson@1.1.0
spacebars
check@1.2.5
useraccounts:bootstrap
standard-minifier-css@1.3.5
standard-minifier-js@2.2.0
shell-server@0.3.0
#accounts-facebook
#accounts-github
#pauli:accounts-linkedin
natestrauser:font-awesome
http@1.3.0
underscore@1.0.10
#Interface plugins
mizzao:bootboxjs
dougthwaites:jquery-match-height
sacha:spin
#adrianliaw:youtube-iframe-api
yogiben:pretty-email
tap:i18n
afruth:bootstrap-touchspin
infinitedg:gsap
alanning:roles
tmeasday:publish-counts
zenorocha:clipboard
chriscinelli:prettydate
mizzao:user-status
reactive-var@1.0.11
dbernhard:jquery-ui-draggable
dsyko:jquery-ui-touch-punch
ryanswapp:spectrum-colorpicker
dynamic-import@0.2.0
summernote:summernote

Thanks rjdavid, i asume the .meteor folder is instact, but i got the git configured to ignore some folders inside -meteor folder just to keep the repository light on Github. As i did in the past this nod-modules folder create when run meteor npm install

but now got errors

I did a new try and install meteor in a VPS with Ubuntu 14.04 thatā€™s the version of Ubuntu i got in Cloud9 vps machine when i start the development.

I just install Meteor, clone the repository and do meteor npm install

thanst the answered:

charlie@tebascms:~/Anotus$ meteor npm install
charlie, this is your first time using Meteor!
Installing a Meteor distribution in your home directory.
Downloading Meteor distribution
######################################################################## 100.0%
npm WARN deprecated bcrypt@1.0.3: bcrypt < v2.0.0 is susceptible to bcrypt wrap- around bug. Upgrade to bcrypt >= v2.0.0 for improved support for newer bcrypt ha shes
npm WARN deprecated core-js@2.6.11: core-js@<3 is no longer maintained and not r ecommended for usage due to the number of issues. Please, upgrade your dependenc ies to the actual version of core-js@3.
npm WARN deprecated request@2.88.2: request has been deprecated, see https://git hub.com/request/request/issues/3142

bcrypt@1.0.3 install /home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt
node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp ERR! Tried to download(404): https://github.com/kelektiv/node.bcryp t.js/releases/download/v1.0.3/bcrypt_lib-v1.0.3-node-v72-linux-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp ERR! Pre-built binaries not found for bcrypt@1.0.3 and node@12.16.1 (node-v72 ABI) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
node-pre-gyp ERR! Tried to download(undefined): https://github.com/kelektiv/node .bcrypt.js/releases/download/v1.0.3/bcrypt_lib-v1.0.3-node-v72-linux-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp ERR! Pre-built binaries not found for bcrypt@1.0.3 and node@12.16.1 (node-v72 ABI) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
make: Entering directory /home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/build' make: Entering directory /home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/buildā€™
CXX(target) Release/obj.target/bcrypt_lib/src/blowfish.o
CXX(target) Release/obj.target/bcrypt_lib/src/blowfish.o
rm: cannot remove ā€˜./Release/.deps/Release/obj.target/bcrypt_lib/src/blowfish.o. d.rawā€™: No such file or directory
make: *** [Release/obj.target/bcrypt_lib/src/blowfish.o] Error 1
make: Leaving directory /home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/build' gyp ERR! build error gyp ERR! stack CXX(target) Release/obj.target/bcrypt_lib/src/bcrypt.o Error: makefailed with exit code: 2 gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/home/charlie/.meteor/packages/meteor -tool/.1.10.2.121ry7f.gueme++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web. cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_64/dev_bundle/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp /lib/build.js:194:23) gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:311:20) gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_proces s.js:275:12) gyp ERR! System Linux 3.13.0-135-generic gyp ERR! command "/home/charlie/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.10.2.121ry7f.gue me++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_6 4/dev_bundle/bin/node" "/home/charlie/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.10.2.121ry 7f.gueme++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/mt-os.linux .x86_64/dev_bundle/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" " build" "--fallback-to-build" "--module=/home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/ lib/binding/bcrypt_lib.node" "--module_name=bcrypt_lib" "--module_path=/home/cha rlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding" gyp ERR! cwd /home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt gyp ERR! node -v v12.16.1 gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.0.7 gyp ERR! not ok node-pre-gyp ERR! build error node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute '/home/charlie/.meteor/packages /meteor-tool/.1.10.2.121ry7f.gueme++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.lega cy+web.cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_64/dev_bundle/bin/node /home/charlie/.meteor/pack ages/meteor-tool/.1.10.2.121ry7f.gueme++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser. legacy+web.cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_64/dev_bundle/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modul es/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --module=/home/charlie/Ano tus/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding/bcrypt_lib.node --module_name=bcrypt_lib --m odule_path=/home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding' (1) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/home/charlie/Anotus/no de_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:311:20) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1021:16) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/chi ld_process.js:286:5) node-pre-gyp ERR! System Linux 3.13.0-135-generic node-pre-gyp ERR! command "/home/charlie/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.10.2.12 1ry7f.gueme++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/[mt-os.li](http://mt-os.li) nux.x86_64/dev_bundle/bin/node" "/home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/.bin/node-pre -gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build" node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v12.16.1 node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.6.36 node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok Failed to execute '/home/charlie/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.[1.10.2.121ry7f.gu](http://1.10.2.121ry7f.gu) eme++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_ 64/dev_bundle/bin/node /home/charlie/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.10.2.121ry7 f.gueme++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/mt-os.linux. x86_64/dev_bundle/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js bui ld --fallback-to-build --module=/home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/bin ding/bcrypt_lib.node --module_name=bcrypt_lib --module_path=/home/charlie/Anotus /node_modules/bcrypt/lib/binding' (1) sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directoryrypt@1.0.3~install: Failed to sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directory sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directory sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directory sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directory /bin/sh: 1: cannot create ./Release/.deps/Release/obj.target/bcrypt_lib/src/bcry pt.o.d: Directory nonexistent sed: can't read ./Release/.deps/Release/obj.target/bcrypt_lib/src/bcrypt.o.d.raw : No such file or directory make: *** [Release/obj.target/bcrypt_lib/src/bcrypt.o] Error 2 make: Leaving directory/home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/buildā€™
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/home/charlie/.meteor/packages/meteor -tool/.1.10.2.121ry7f.gueme++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web. cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_64/dev_bundle/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp /lib/build.js:194:23)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:311:20)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_proces s.js:275:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 3.13.0-135-generic
gyp ERR! command ā€œ/home/charlie/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.10.2.121ry7f.gue me++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_6 4/dev_bundle/bin/nodeā€ ā€œ/home/charlie/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.10.2.121ry 7f.gueme++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/mt-os.linux .x86_64/dev_bundle/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.jsā€ " build" ā€œā€“fallback-to-buildā€ ā€œā€“module=/home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/ lib/binding/bcrypt_lib.nodeā€ ā€œā€“module_name=bcrypt_libā€ ā€œā€“module_path=/home/cha rlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt/lib/bindingā€
gyp ERR! cwd /home/charlie/Anotus/node_modules/bcrypt
gyp ERR! node -v v12.16.1
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.0.7
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! bcrypt@1.0.3 install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the bcrypt@1.0.3 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional log ging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /home/charlie/.npm/_logs/2020-06-16T08_01_31_564Z-debug.log
charlie@tebascms:~/Anotus$