Meteor Desktop 3.0

For those more vigilant around this issue, you might have already notice, but meteor-desktop is back!

Meteor Community Packages forked the old repository and after a PR by @evan-coygo we were released a new major version under new namespace.

For migration instructions check the readme.

Now, this is just the beginning and we have a long way to go to uplift this amazing package and work has already started. If you are using meteor-desktop please try this update out and if you can spare some time help us out with upgrading things further.

meteor-desktop 3.0 changelog

Fixed to work with Meteor 2.6+ Node 14+.

• Updated shelljs to 0.8.5 .
  • Fix bundler plugin to pass non-uglified code instead of undefined to fs.writeFileSync in dev mode.
  • Updated build configs to use Meteor 2.6 when building + testing.
  • Updated chokidar dependency from 2.x to 3.x for meteor-desktop-bundler and meteor-desktop-watcher packages.

Breaking: changes to publish packages under a new name.

• meteor-desktop npm package renamed to @meteor-community/meteor-desktop
  • omega:meteor-desktop-bundler Atmosphere package renamed to communitypackages:meteor-desktop-bundler
  • omega:meteor-desktop-watcher Atmosphere package renamed to communitypackages:meteor-desktop-watcher
  • Updated all references to these package names in the code.
  • Removed old wojtkowiak build links in README.
  • Removed Contributing and Roadmap README entries.
26 Likes

Thanks for stepping up and working on this! :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Yes, that’s awesome! :smiley: This is the kind of big feature which really could be a selling point for meteor if kept in working shape…

“Write your Apps for Web, Mobile (Cordova), and Desktop with Meteor” basically.

Absolutely awesome! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I also join, great information :slight_smile: :clap:

Fully agree with that sentiment and if we take a look at what Ionic is doing at the same time:

• also offering Electron, PWA, Web, mobile for IOS and Android, all either with Vue, React or Android frontend framework
  • especially them having 50 developers helping enterprises which is financing their open source effort

it might be a route that Tiny wants to consider as well.

5 Likes

Great work! It’s good to have back real-time desktop apps.

1 Like

@storyteller - any update when the DesktopHCP feature is going to be fixed? That would help a lot (save us from building new versions for each small package update eg).

Thanks in advance!

Maybe sponsor Jan to put some positive pressure on him? :smiley:

Tried to pay him directly to solve the problems with Meteor-Desktop but he’s too busy.

Like I tried (and I’m still trying) with other experienced developers here in this forum.

So if anyone is interested to make some money on a side job please PM me.

This is the last week where I will be busy beyond reproach. The community hangout, this Saturday is pretty much to celebrate my return to full-time Meteor. So starting next week I will be available for more of those jobs. Donations help to increase how much time I can spend on MCP in general.
Still as you can imagine I can’t be expert in all the MCP projects, so any additional help is always welcome and I’m ready to get things merged and published and help in other ways possible.

8 Likes

Thank you for this great work :muscle: @storyteller

Thanks for getting these changes published! (I’m @evan-coygo on GitHub)

2 Likes