Meteor-desktop (electron) with Meteor 2.3 node 14

Has anyone got meteor-desktop working with Meteor 2.3+ with node 14? As soon as I add the meteor-desktop package and restart I get these errors:

=> Started proxy.
=> Started MongoDB.
Browserslist: caniuse-lite is outdated. Please run next command `npm update`
(node:21952) Warning: Accessing non-existent property 'cat' of module exports inside circular dependency
(Use `node --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:21952) Warning: Accessing non-existent property 'cd' of module exports inside circular dependency
(node:21952) Warning: Accessing non-existent property 'chmod' of module exports inside circular dependency
(node:21952) Warning: Accessing non-existent property 'cp' of module exports inside circular dependency
[meteor-desktop] calculated .desktop hash version is 59304550043a830bbe8d14f33e771db89ec6316d_dev
internal/fs/utils.js:811
  throw new ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE(
  ^

TypeError [ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE] [ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The "data" argument must be of type string or an instance of Buffer, TypedArray, or DataView. Received undefined
    at Object.writeFileSync (fs.js:1521:5)
    at Module.<anonymous> (C:\Users\ChrisMorison\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\2.5.6\mt-os.windows.x86_64\tools\fs\tools\fs\files.ts:1482:23)
    at packages/meteor-desktop-bundler/bundler.js:869:48
    at runAsync (C:\Projects\docmaker_update\node_modules\@babel\core\lib\transformation\index.js:40:10)
    at C:\Projects\docmaker_update\node_modules\@babel\core\lib\transform.js:34:34
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:77:11) {
  code: 'ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE'
}
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! corroweb@ start: `bash -c ./run.sh`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!

During the upgrade I encountered the Warning: Accessing non-existent property... errors a couple of time but I managed to eliminate those by upgrading various npm packages to versions compatible with Node 14. But I’m already using the latest version of meteor-desktop.

Has anyone else attempted this?

For anyone else having this problem, I’ve posted a work around here:

2 Likes

It’s great that it works :slight_smile: ! I plan to make a version of my web-application for desktop on Windows, and what desktop are you doing for? As it turns out in general?

I only use meteor-desktop for one client and they only use it on Windows. The main use case is so the app can interact directly with their network file system and Outlook.

1 Like

Well, I plan to use the desktop version of the application as a distribution kit for my psychodiagnostic application for those users who prefer to store all data on their local computer and work independently of the Internet. Do you think it’s real to make distribution kit for Windows from Meteor app?

Thank you. I’ve created an issue on the community-maintained fork of meteor-desktop here:

We need to get that community fork published to npm so that releasing changes like this is possible. Does anyone know who owns it? I use meteor-desktop for my business so I’d be happy to help keep it up to date.

1 Like

I’ve got a pull request up on the Meteor-Community org’s fork of meteor-desktop if anyone wants to help me get this moving fix/meteor 2.6 for #6 by evan-coygo · Pull Request #7 · Meteor-Community-Packages/meteor-desktop · GitHub