Meteor Email and Mailgun, timeout error and this.unblock is not a function [SOLVED]

I am trying to do a very basic test with Mailgun sandbox but depending on what is in my method I get a timeout error or _this.unblock is not a function .

Specifically if I have check() in, it times out, if I leave this.unblock() in it errors as not a function.

HTML is basic submit button inside a empty form

Client JS

Template.contactView.events({
	'submit #email-form'(event){
		event.preventDefault();

Meteor.call('sendEmail', 'Nick' , 'nicholasbydesign@gmail.com' , 'Hello Nick!', function(err){
			if(err){
				console.log(err);
			}else{
				console.log('complete');
			}
		});
	}
});

Server JS

Meteor.startup(function() {
    //smtp://_smtp-default-login_:password_@hostname_:port
    process.env.MAIL_URL = 'smtp://postmaster%40sandbox9c904eaadf23r23fsdf432.mailgun.org:41555easdf90avzdf2c963adbbf@smtp.mailgun.org:25';
});

sendEmail: (name, email, message) =>{

check([name, email, message], [String]);

this.unblock();

Email.send({
            to: 'nicholasbydesign@gmail.com',
            subject: `${name} Test Subject`,
            text: message
        });
    }

Thanks for any insight.

** UPDATE **
I made the mistake of using an arrow function rendering ā€œthisā€ useless and switched to port 587 from 25;

1 Like

While it isnā€™t an answer to your specific issue, Iā€™d strongly suggest checking out mailgun-js, and using their api to send rather than relying on Meteorā€™s built-in smtp functionality.

Iā€™ll definitely check it out, I more or less just need solution to send email. Iā€™d prefer to keep it Meteor native, but I donā€™t mind checking other solutions.

I think your syntax is causing the this to be undefined? Also, are you importing check?

sendEmail(name, email, message) { // Don't use an arrow here

check([name, email, message], [String]);

this.unblock();

Email.send({
        to: 'nicholasbydesign@gmail.com',
        subject: `${name} Test Subject`,
        text: message
      });

}

Check is imported. Good catch on the arrow function, that solved the ā€œthis.unblock()ā€ for any lexical issues. However I am still getting a timeout.

ā€œException while invoking method ā€˜sendEmailā€™ Error: connect ETIMEDOUTā€

I am wondering if it has something to do with my MAIL_URL.

My only guess there is that you are using port 25 and Iā€™ve always used 587 when designating a mailgun smtp url? Also you may not want to post your credentials =)

Yea that was it, port 25 vs port 587. Iā€™m not worried its sandbox.

Thanks for the help with debugging :slight_smile:

1 Like

why do you recommend this?

Looping through the built-in smtp call isnā€™t going to be very performant. Also, as you get into sending hundreds (or thousands) of emails, you will be able to utilize mailgunā€™s batch sending, which is built into their api.

Those are good reasons. It doesnā€™t look like mailgunā€™s API is that much different to use than meteors (no learning curve there). thanks!

1 Like