never had an issue with the email package from Meteor but now all of a sudden it throws a timeout and my app is no longer able to send out emails. Here’s the log file:
Error: Greeting never received
at SMTPConnection._formatError (/Users/andreaswest/.meteor/packages/email/.2.2.0.f77o92.3qbzk++os+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/npm/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:784:19)
at SMTPConnection._onError (/Users/andreaswest/.meteor/packages/email/.2.2.0.f77o92.3qbzk++os+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/npm/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:770:20)
at Timeout.<anonymous> (/Users/andreaswest/.meteor/packages/email/.2.2.0.f77o92.3qbzk++os+web.browser+web.browser.legacy+web.cordova/npm/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:704:22)
at listOnTimeout (internal/timers.js:557:17)
at processTimers (internal/timers.js:500:7)
Using Meteor version 2.5.8 and Node version 14.19.1
What can be the cause of it and how can I isolate the problem? It was working fine so far.
I’m using Mailhog and it’s running (it gets started upon login by Brew), I can check the inbox at URL http://localhost:8025/
How can I test it out further to isolate the problem (on my computer). I restarted the Mac yesterday as it has updated to a new version and yes, the problem started to show exactly after the restart. So some sort of setting or configuration changed or broke but I have no clue which one.
Many thanks for your help, I would be lost without you guys!
mhsendmail firstname.lastname@example.org <<EOF
> From: Salman <email@example.com>
> To: Test <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Subject: Hello, MailHog!
> Hey there,
> Missing you pig time.
> Hogs & Kisses,
-bash: mhsendmail: command not found
So it seems there’s something wrong with the installation, that mhsendmail (which is apparently used by Mailhog) isn’t installed properly.
I’ve noticed that when I restart the mailhog service that Apple notifies me with a popup for “Background Items Added”. This is a new feature they added, might be it’s the culprit though it’s turned on: