Meteor for M1 MacBook

I think it would be okay because heard that nodejs was working.

But did anyone test for a lot of working for meteor projects and packages?

1 Like

Just search. There is an existing topic about this

I know.

I’ve not asked just for meteor installation, but also a lot of working for projects and packages experience.

I don’t believe that all the problems is just solved after installation.

1 Like

@kakadais

The things is that node works NATIVELY on Apple M1 Silicon only from v15 onwards.
Meteor use v12, so the best thing is to use Rosetta 2 compatibility layer on a terminal instance and you are ready to go, see there.

Native package (those that need to be compiled on the platform you are using) has the same issue.
So running Rosetta 2 let you run Intel x86 in compatibility mode, until Meteor will jump to Node v16.

3 Likes

Yes you need to run Meteor in Rosetta mode, no way around it for now. Best is to run your terminal in Rosetta mode. But then still it’s :rocket: faster than the previous MacBook.

1 Like

Thanks for replying you all guys.
I’ve been using M1 mac already and satisfying for performance.
Rosetta looks fine and works good for all specific packages yet.
But sometimes I got memory overflow for bulk & expensive process which does not happen in intel mac.

I have no idea the memory issue could be binding on Rosetta things,
but it’s good to be using for stress test as well,
so I think we can say M1 mac is good to go with Meteor for now for sure-

Thanks-

2 Likes

Node v12 is available for M1

1 Like

Got any links for that? From the github threads I could only find that v16 has support and they plan to backport it to v14 but not for the pkg installer, just nvm tarballs. Where did you find info about ARM64 support for node v12?

I installed this package without Rosetta - runs node on ARM64…
https://nodejs.org/dist/latest-v12.x/node-v12.22.1.pkg

Hmmm can you double check? There is no sign of any darwin-arm64 dist on the release page for 12.22.1.

Compare Node v16.2.0 (Current) | Node.js (which lists macos pkg + x64 + arm64) with Node v12.22.1 (LTS) | Node.js (which only lists pkg + x64)

I noticed that too, however when I use the package to install, I didn’t get any mention of incompatible with M1 or Rosetta requirement.
When I start my non-Rosetta terminal node v12 just works. So I figured it must be compiled for M1…

The pkg was installed and works fine but I’ve used nodejs15 by port without rosetta.

port install nodejs15

The most brew package seems like still working on Rosetta
but I thought the important port package was transferred to the ARM…

Did I miss something?

On the other thread,
I’ve found the meteor on Rosetta is leaking or can’t ensure enough memory on the same stress test.
I have no understanding for Rosetta or ARM processor so I couldn’t find what’s going on exactly, but the heavy test seems like having some problem to manage the resources although the speed was quite not bad or faster than before.

Could be helpful for someone or waiting for idea to figure out this.

1 Like