Meteor Forum Community Standards

Hello everyone,

I wanted to update folks on the community standards around posting here on the Meteor forum. Please read below and let me know about any questions.

Community Standards

• Be considerate, respectful, and collaborative.

• Refrain from creating demeaning, discriminatory or harassing content.

• Flag content for moderation or message me directly if you think a contributor is not following the spirit of our community standards, or explicitly contains one of the following:

Unacceptable behaviors, which includes: intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning conduct by any online community member.

Harassment, which may include: offensive comments related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability; inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in posts; deliberate intimidation.

Any lewd or offensive behavior or language, using sexually explicit or offensive language, profanity, obscene gestures, or racial, religious or ethnic slurs.

19 Likes

Edit: Actually this is good. :thumbsup: Won’t hurt, although I’ve never seen people acting up on these forums.

I’m quite liberal with my language, and I’ve gotten a warning for my comments on @awatson1978’s views. So yea, this is definitely also for me :smile:

What’s the real reason you posting this here Nick?

1 Like

Or maybe you should just leave her alone.

4 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. @mz103 that’s not being “respectful and considerate”.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think anything I’ve commented on (in regards to this) that’s considerate nor respectful in the first place. That being said, it doesn’t justify my behaviour.

I do think certain sections of the posts I’ve commented on are sexist. Would it be reasonable to point out the post instead of the author, or is that offensive too?..

Here’s my suggestion:

1. Talk directly with the person you’re talking about.
  2. If that doesn’t work, flag the specific posts which you find to be sexist.
  3. After that, contact a moderator / admin if the user still bothers you.
3 Likes

Here’s my perspective: Almost anything that says a person’s opinions are wrong, is fine. Attacking the specific individual, or something about them, is not fine.

We just want to have a civil and welcoming environment, the goal isn’t to shut down discussions.

4 Likes

One thing that I would add is to consider the “in-person” rule before posting. I use it whenever I’m interacting with someone from behind a keyboard.

It essentially boils down to this: “I am about to post this reply to another contributor. If I were having this conversation in person, would I be willing to say this to their face?”

If the answer is no, then I’ll rephrase.

5 Likes