Meteor in 2022?

Hey guys,
I’m new to Meteor development. Please help with just a couple of questions.

1. Even though I’m new to Meteor development, I’m not new to Meteor in general. In fact, I have a software product built using Meteor in 2018 by a developer. The software is still up and running. But it has a lot of issues. And the developer says the issues come from outdated packages that haven’t been updated in a few years. For example, this package pauli:accounts-linkedin was last updated March 1, 2019.
    And the developer now suggests that we rewrite the software using a different stack. So my question is should we rewrite the software using the MERN stack? If I stay with Meteor, can I use any npm package to get the job done? For example, this one: react-linkedin-login-oauth2 - npm

2. Do you know if there are any recent complete courses on Meteor besides the one at Meteor University? I tried a few courses but they are outdated and it gives errors when I tried to follow the tutorials. These courses are mostly created in 2016-2018. No new courses can be found on sites like Udemy.

Thank you very much

Hey @nextup,

1. Yes, you can use Meteor with NPM Packages. Also, update to the latest available version for better performance, security, and other new features.
  2. We are consistently adding new courses to University. Have you watched them already?
    You can also check this: https://learn-meteor.netlify.app/. It is a perfect one.
2 Likes

Wow. Thank you so much. The course looks great.

1 Like

Check out Atmosphere for alternative packages. Most of the times with things like OAuth it is just about replacing the imports unless you have something specific. You can also fork the existing package (if it doesn’t work) and fix it up, I think that is easier than rewriting your entire project.

2 Likes

@nextup I would stay with Meteor if possible. Rewriting could be costly, depending on how it was written.
If it was done in React I could possibly help, let me know.

1 Like