I’ve been interested in Elixir and the Phoenix framework for a while now. I thought I’d put on my mad scientist hat and try to build out a replacement backend for an existing (simple) Meteor application using Phoenix.
I’m breaking the process into two articles. The first article goes through the process of splitting a Meteor application in half and dropping the front-end into a new Phoenix project. From there we replace the DDP pub/sub mechanics with a Phoenix Channel.
I found the whole process of splitting off the front-end of a Meteor app surprisingly easy. If you’re not using a production build, you can continue to use all of the niceties of Blaze, ReactiveVars, MiniMongo, etc…
I wouldn’t recommend doing this in a “real” project, but hopefully you find it as interesting as I did. Part 2 coming next week!