Meteor Mantra Kickstarter gets Apollo, Uniforms & HabitatForMeteor

This is a major upgrade with a great many changes and improvements.

Tested up-to-date with with Meteor 1.4.4.1

The Meteor Mantra Kickstarter repo

CircleCI build and acceptance tests CircleCI

5 Likes

Congratulations and thank you so much! <3

Congrats!!! The repo evolved a lot since I last checked!

@fermuch, @nadeemjq Thank you!

I am very eager to get feedback. In particular, I’d love to see some critique about how well (or not) I am extending, while conforming to, the Mantra way of doing things.

1 Like

One thing I’m curious is about is why you didn’t implement react-komposer 2?

Hi and thanks a lot for your work.
I’m using it for my web app SocialBoulder sboulder.com/labo

Before I try to upgrade to your latest version I have a few questions :
Are you going to support it for a long time ?
Are you using it in production ?
Would you choose this stack for a new project ? (mantra seem to loose traction and I’m wondering if I should try Vulcan JS)
Is there a tutorial I can follow to start from scratch (I have never worked with VMs)

1 Like

Hi @jadus

Your Le Labo site is really well done! Am I right that the image in the circle is the highest handle reached, and the semicircles represent % completion of the full wall? and the little line drawing indicates which wall?

The app feels equally as natural on my 32" display as on my phone browser. Can I download a mobile app version from somewhere?

As hinted at by my (still unanswered!) question, How to npm link from multiple directories beside and below current?, I am working on submerging the Kick-starter as a git submodule of any number of possible future container projects. I’m preparing scripts that import all the bits and pieces of a container project into the Kick-starter at install time and build time. Suitable .gitignore files keep those artifacts from being committed into the Kick-starter.

The container projects will be specific to the purposes I have, while the submodule will evolve to supply the generic functionality I want to make available to more than one of the containers. So, as long as I am supporting the containers I’ll also be supporting the core submodule

[quote=“jadus, post:12, topic:567”]
Are you using it in production ?
[/quote]Not yet, but that’s the point of getting all the needed functionality demonstrably working with continuous integration, test & deploy tools, before undergoing the distraction of supporting a live application. By making it generic, I can share the burden of maintenance with collaborators interested in having the same functionality.

Would you choose this stack for a new project ? (mantra and meteor seem to loose traction and I’m wondering if I should try react starter kit)
[/quote]There have been many similar questions about Meteor in this forum recently. Some are just trolls. Others like you have legitimate concerns, so I don’t mind responding to that. I think Meteor has gone through a slow patch because of Apollo and Galaxy. As those two projects stabilize, we’re seeing Meteor accelerate forward again. With JavaScript evolving so rapidly, this kind of “reculer pour mieux sauter” is inevitable - and desirable.

I can’t say whether Meteor would be my first choice to day, because I have not seriously evaluated what’s out there. There are too many alternatives. I stumbled on Meteor after wasting a lot of time evaluating many of the available alternatives in 2015. It really stood out then, far more than now. The many new projects that didn’t exist then are loud about their advantages while not so loud about the goodies they don’t offer but that you do get with Meteor. Plus, if you look at our README you’ll see quite an extensive list of features above and beyond what Meteor supplies. Even if they serve merely as worked through examples, they’re there and available now, whereas in a newer stack you might end up having to pioneer some of them yourself.

Ultimately, one has to fix on something, or spend one’s whole career evaluating possibilities and never accomplishing anything. I did dither a bit between JavaScript and Clojure two years ago, but settled on isomorphic JavaScript because I believed JavaScript is the one language that’ll never go away. Now I’m less sure. WebAssembly will allow any language in the browser, so the predominance of JavaScript will quickly dissolve once that’s generally recognized. Not much further out in my crystal ball – AI and voice interaction will do just about everything!

Is there a tutorial I can follow to start from scratch (I don’t even really know what a virtual machine is)
[/quote]This is definitely called for, but I am not in a position to do it right now. I’d love to help a volunteer blog their process of learning about it, for example :wink:. Once I’ve got my priority production app live, I intend to start blogging about the techniques built into the Kick-starter and everything I learned while building it.

Thanks, my app name is SocialBoulder and “Le Labo” is one of my clients.
It is only a progressive web app, I won’t have time to develop a native app and don’t want cordova. I hope that google will continue pushing PWA forward.

The handle in te circle is the “iconic” handle of the route (most of the time the biggest handle)
The color of the circle is the color of the handles (sometime the picture is not good enough to see properly)
The semi-circles are for routes with two colors handles (black and green for example)
The little line drawing is indeed a map of the climbing gym.

Thanks for your answers. Very useful.

You’re absolutely right !

What do you think about Vulcan JS compared to MMKS ? I’ll have to rewrite big parts of my app soon and I wan’t to take the best option.

1 Like

Congratulations @jadus, the app looks very good!

Did you implement PWA on top of the Mantra kickstarter? I’m exploring possibilities of incorporating PWA in Meteor app myself. It would be great if you can share some tips.

1 Like

@jadus

I would also like to know more about what you had to do to get that working.

I’ve used this :

Works like a charm.

And I’ve followed this :

Be sure to use ssl.

Now chrome asks users to add my app to the home screen when they come often visiting it :sunglasses:
When they do, the app is fullscreen, has a splashscreen and works offline.

And I’ll add push notification soon !

2 Likes

It’s simply a question of priorities and time available.
I do hope to get around to it.

What do we lose by not making the switch?

Hi!

I was thinking of this: https://github.com/arunoda/react-komposer/issues/109

We’re suffering really badly with these re-renders.

Ok. I’ll look into that this week I hope.

1 Like

How much special adaptation for Meteor were you obliged to make?

@jadus what you did use to get offline capabilities working?

No special adaptation except from the service worker (link above).
Just put your webapp_manifest.json in your public folder and the rel tag in the head (with react helmet)

With this service worker you can load your app offline but you don’t have data loaded in it. So it’s not really “offline capabilities”. I just have an empty app saying that there’s no network. It’s still better than the offline dinosaure though. There are ways to keep data while offline but I didn’t take time for this right now.

1 Like