Meteor method returning a stream?

Hey!

Does anyone know if I can call a Meteor method which returns a stream, instead of just returning once?

I’m using the Noble.js NPM package via the meteorhacks:npm package to scan for Bluetooth peripherals, and the noble.on(‘discover’, callback) is a callback that outputs a stream of data whenever it finds new peripherals:
[image: http://i.imgur.com/UDZ0RfB.png]

Now to the real question: how do I return that stream to the client? I’ve tried using Fibers/Future, returning directly from within the noble.on() callback, etc., but either nothing shows up, or Meteor crashes (maximum callstack).

Any ideas?

No, Meteor methods can only return EJSON serializable values.

You can create a new Collection and use a publication and subscription instead :wink:

You can also create a Collection that is not stored into MongoDB on the sever by passing null as name (mention in docs). I have never done this, but others have. Just google for it.

Sounds like an OK idea, actually. I just implemented a streaming function using Streamy. It’s kinda hackish, but at least it works as of now. I’ll check into your suggestion as well, as an alternative. Thanks!

Hi have a look at this thread: Meteor and the Internet of Things (IoT) - whats best to use? Collection, Meteor-Streams, Streamy