Meteor Misconceptions and Educating

Hey everyone. I’d love to put together a video on the most common misconceptions about Meteor and debunk them. I have my own ideas such as:

• Only good for real time
  • Meteor isn’t modern
  • Meteor can’t scale

What are the most common misconceptions you hear other people say about Meteor? I think clearing these up will reduce the FUD around devs picking up Meteor as an option.

18 Likes

It’s just good for POC work

Web sockets aren’t secure

Is hard to deploy

Is hard to test

3 Likes

Meteor is difficult to learn

Meteor takes a long time to setup

Meteor lags behind latest Node version (unfortunately true at the moment :sob:)

Meteor means you’re locked into Mongodb

2 Likes

Meteor is not secure (insecure and autopublish pa kages)

2 Likes

Blaze lock-in, eg. no freedom of choice regarding view layer

3 Likes

Meteor is deprecated / uses deprecated tech stack

Important packages are all abandoned (the community packages group has fixed this)

Meteor forces you into websocket / no http, no express

Edit

I listed some other misconceptions in this post as well:

7 Likes

I’d be interested in comparing Meteor vs Webpack in terms of build times. My perception is that this is one of Meteor’s biggest issues but if it’s not actually that much slower then it’d be worth doing a video about it.

6 Likes

Can you configure webpack to work exactly as the Meteor build tool does? Because IMO that would be the only way to validly compare the performances of both.

1 Like

I’m preparing a video on the internals of livequery. My team is expanding quite fast and I’m tired of explaining this over and over. I think people not understanding the internals is the main problem people think Meteor doesn’t scale. The mongo code is also quite complex, but the concepts and trade-offs are easy to grasp when properly explained.

16 Likes

I made this presentation long time ago. It might help as a companion to yours.

8 Likes

Would love for that video to be publicly available!

1 Like

Yep, I’ll make it publicly available once it’s ready.

2 Likes

I’ve decided that we’re going to do a Syntax.fm episode on Meteor and some of the FUD and misconceptions surrounding it. I plan on keeping it super positive and a general overview on what it has to offer and what makes it special.

20 Likes

Please also post it into the Newsletter channel in Meteor Community Slack.

1 Like