Meteor + remote workers -- has anyone solved this elegantly? (RPC)

Hi everyone,

suppose we have the following, not uncommon, scenario:

Meteor is handling the UI and the general parts of the (web) app.

But we also have some parts that require e.g. lots of processing that, for the sake of simplicity, we’re accomplishing using nodejs.

What is the most elegant, Meteor-ease-of-use-worthy way to accomplish proper communication between these two different instances?

I have tried all kinds of nodejs remoting libraries and thought about how to solve this elegantly using DDP but I just couldn’t figure out something that felt “just right”.

Basically we could term this a “how to do RPC Meteor <-> nodejs/services” question.

Any insight, experiences, suggestions, useful packages are appreciated. This is one of the areas where I currently just don’t feel like a really good solution exists, or at least I do not know of any of them.

Please enlighten, if you will!

Thanks,
Denis

DDP sounds like the most reasonable approach, but I’ve never done it myself.

On the other hand it would be interesting to adopt a full Meteor stack instead of using a Meteor app and different NodeJS apps as long as you have control over all of the services involved.

Your requests is pretty similar to what I’ve been thinking about lately which is developing micro-services in Meteor and let them work together. This should be trivial when using DDP to let all of the instances talk to each other. And then there could be an API gateway that exposes JSON REST services to be consumed by different clients.

I’d be interested in hearing from others experiences as well.