Meteor run android-device on Mac unstability issue

Help is required regarding the instability of the meteor platform on mac + android. Both devices are not the perfect match, yet it suppose to work.

At the beginning meteor js seemed like a perfect solution for multi platform development. However as the project get thicker and time goes by, the instability involves is becoming inconceivable. I’m putting into it many hours without actual results and I will appreciate some guidance here.

I’m building a Meteor-angular app based on the tutorial (urigo:angular). It has some external libs such as google maps but besides that nothing special.
I ran the project successfully on android device when suddenly it stopped worked last week. Meaning it is not installing the app on the connected device.
I thought maybe the update to the new version 1.0.4 is the problem, but when I downgraded to 1.0.3 it still did not help.

The current “run android” error says that it can’t install the apk on device (see below: error 1). Yet when inspecting the devices with chrome it indicates that the device is connected but disconnects when the command run before it is completed - the mobile device requires restart in order for it to be identified again in the chrome://inspect/#devices

Later on, Meteor run android (emulator) will not run the basic projects - unless run with --verbose.

After it fails ones, all the projects including the meteor basic examples are not working anymore. Meteor reset/ Restarting the computer + mobile is not working. The only working solution is to uninstall and then install Meteor + Meteorite. Running the problematic project get error of “Command exit with code 8”

Error 1:

/simple-todos/.meteor/local/cordova-build/platforms/android/cordova/node_modules/q/q.js:126
throw e;
^
ERROR: Failed to launch application on device: ERROR: Failed to install apk to device: ERROR: Failed to deploy to device, no devices found.

+1. Have the same issues exactly…

These don’t sound like Meteor-specific issues, but the Cordova upgrades included in Meteor 1.2 might help.

Could you try this again with the Meteor 1.2 RC (meteor update --release METEOR@1.2-rc.10)?

I tried with METEOR@1.2-rc.10 and I keep getting:
ERROR: Failed to launch application on device: ERROR: Failed to install apk to device: pkg: /data/local/tmp/android-debug.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE]

Maybe this can resolve your issue: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26794862/failure-install-failed-update-incompatible

1 Like

Unfortunately, Android is fairly particular about installing different APK versions. This is not a Meteor-specific issue. As you can see from the article @miriam7 links to, the only solution seems to be to remove the app from the device.

Saw this thread, but I don’t have adb installed and how can I find out what is my.package.id in my case?

I don’t think you need to use adb to uninstall the app, you can just remove it through Settings/Applications on your phone.