Meteor run downloads latest version of meteor tool in background and runs out of disc space

If there is a new release of Meteor my app will attempt to download it in the background on start up. Often, the instance will run out of disc space during this download, which prevents meteor from starting:

$ meteor update

/home/ubuntu/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.3.3_1.9tltar++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_64/isopackets/ddp/npm/node_modules/meteor/promise/node_modules/meteor-promise/promise_server.js:165
      throw error;
            ^
Error: ENOSPC, open '/home/ubuntu/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.build610257..1.3.4.1t07ga1++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_64/isopackets/ddp/npm/node_modules/meteor/babel-compiler/node_modules/core-js/library/modules/_object-keys.js'

But when I check the disc space, there appears to be plenty of room:

$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/xvda1      7.8G  5.4G  2.0G  74% /
none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev            996M   12K  996M   1% /dev
tmpfs           201M  324K  200M   1% /run
none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none           1001M     0 1001M   0% /run/shm
none            100M     0  100M   0% /run/user

I tried creating my own temp directory per this post http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27405566/after-1-0-1-update-meteor-is-filling-up-tmp-folder. But I get the same ENOSPC error:

$ mkdir ~/temp
$ env TMPDIR=~/temp meteor update

/home/ubuntu/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.3.3_1.9tltar++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_64/isopackets/ddp/npm/node_modules/meteor/promise/node_modules/meteor-promise/promise_server.js:165
      throw error;
            ^
Error: ENOSPC, open '/home/ubuntu/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.build653446..1.3.4.1btm0qw++os.linux.x86_64+web.browser+web.cordova/mt-os.linux.x86_64/isopackets/ddp/npm/node_modules/meteor/babel-compiler/node_modules/core-js/library/modules/_object-keys-internal.js'

I don’t understand how the disc is full when it says there are 2GB free. Are these releases each GB’s in payload size? My tiny EC2 instance doesn’t have the capacity for a bunch of different versions of meteor sitting around, collected over time. I guess I could just expand the storage volume on the EC2 instance. But,I’d prefer to deal with that in my own time, and not be forced to deal with it each time a new release comes out.

So, is there a way to prevent these background downloads? Or any suggested best practices for managing Meteor’s footprint on disc?

Thanks!

Try using: “METEOR_OFFLINE_CATALOG”: 1 on settings.json to stop Meteor releases background downloads

Thanks, I will give that a try. This post from glasser is the only documentation I can find on that setting:

Snap. Doesn’t work anymore. Found this more recent thread covering the topic: