Meteor Scaling - Redis Oplog [Status: Prod ready]

In our case everything ia working fine, too. Our instances stopped crashing when running the daily cronjob which deletes about 100k docs/day.

“We did not notice any major bugs” does not sound too assuring :stuck_out_tongue: are there some kinds of small bugs?

1 Like

Haha true, so, there were some bugs indeed after we went to PROD, but we solved them, and they were not MAJOR just some small edge-cases. Currently it’s stable.

1 Like

Ok, so it sounds like there are no known bugs with the new version. Nice.

I have been using redis-oplog in production for months with hundreds of concurrent users. We had one small issue which was fixed immediately by @diaconutheodor. All in all I’m very happy and can recommend redis-oplog!

10 Likes

I’ve been thinking… few things that I think could be very synergistic with this package, and perhaps practical since we are connecting our apps to Redis:

• Creating/exposing Redis APIs for Meteor developers use, and to make it work over regular pub/sub. Redis is blazing fast, and can persist, so might as well embrace it all the way
  • Creating some kind of load balancing solution around Redis, in the spirit of meteorhacks:cluster.
  • Creating a “patching” API for redis-oplog in case MongoDB updates happen outside of the Meteor application. Maybe some kind of protected REST API.

Combined, they would take this package from a solution to scale oplog to a solution to scale Meteor, all built around the magic of Redis.

9 Likes

And one more: the idea of Redis going unavailable and stopping updates is a bit unpleasant. In the beginning, it would be nice if there was some kind of mechanism for developers to manage these scenarios or to force it to re-run all the queries.

2 Likes

I’m very likely going to start integrating this into my production app in a few weeks. One question came to mind (sorry if it’s been answered): you remove oplog from your app logically, but what happens to Meteor’s backup “poll and diff” mechanisms? Do they still run with redis-oplog? If the “poll and diff” caused performance problems before adding oplog will it still when using redis-oplog? Is there a way to disable “poll and diff”?

Hello @evolross

A new release will be coming soon making it even more stable. (1.2.1 I plan on finishing it this month)

Regarding your question, there is no fallback with redis-oplog. If redis dies, bye bye reactivity, if redis comes back alive again (we have a 30s infinite retry of connection) reactivity will be back up again. However, when redis resumes, we have to requery all observableCollections and apply changes:

However, you can still rely on poll-and-diff if you want: https://github.com/cult-of-coders/redis-oplog/blob/master/docs/finetuning.md#fallback-to-polling

You can even have mongodb oplog, redis-oplog and poll-and-diff at the same time :slight_smile: by not overriding publish function, but I wouldn’t recommend that though.

2 Likes

@thea (and @diaconutheodor)

redis-oplog is becoming a critical piece for the community, especially production apps. I recall there was planning (months ago!) for a blog about it on the main Meteor blog site (@diaconutheodor and I talked about it privately too and I offered to help review it).

Any updates on that?

Case in point: we now have thousands of concurrent users internationally, with servers in US, Europe and Middle East (planned), redis-oplog is planned to be the glue for that

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder Ramez, planning o. Giving that draft feedback by
end of the day.

@thea, any updates on that blog post?

@diaconutheodor Would it be worth raising a PR on https://github.com/englue/meteor-publish-composite to see if @reywood can bring the adaptation you made for optimistic UI into the main publish-composite package? That would save you from maintaining a separate package and users having to change over to it.

There have been some recent updates to the package by @reywood, so we can benefit from those when using Redis Oplog without any extra maintenance headache on your part.

I tried and hated that cluster package. It had ingenious elements, but was very hacky. Load balancing should either be hardware-based or with the web server itself (e.g. nginx pro or tengine).

Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

@Longmate in the meantime I know found another solution without changing the publish-composite package. So I will deprecate my package and make it compatible.

3 Likes

Hi @thea, are we end of day yet? :smile:
Just joking, I am sure you already reviewed the draft. Would love to see that blog post.

1 Like

Waiting on @diaconutheodor :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone know if we can use Redis version 4 with this package ?
@diaconutheodor?

It’s available on compose.io

Thanks

1 Like

Why not redis cloud by redis labs… free plan should work great since there’s nothing actually being stored in redis.

1 Like

@ixdi
I don’t see any changes inside the pub/sub so yep, it should work. Let me know if you encounter issues.

@thea I have sent you the document for review, I have asked for another invitation for medium.com guest post, but did not receive any answer.

@copleykj that could work, but I suggest keeping your redis in the local network, for trully fast responses.