Meteor Settings IntelliSense VSCode extension

Hey everyone,

I’m excited to share a new Visual Studio Code extension I’ve been working on: Meteor Settings IntelliSense. This extension is designed to make working with Meteor.settings in your JavaScript and React files easier and more efficient. Here are some of the key features:

Features

• Hover Tooltips: Simply hover over Meteor.settings keys to see their values and types. This feature helps you quickly understand what each setting represents and its data type.
  • Code Completion: Get autocompletion suggestions for Meteor.settings keys and their values as you type. This makes it easier to access and use the settings in your code.
  • Non-Public Key Warning: The extension warns you if you try to access non-public settings in client code. This helps prevent accidental exposure of sensitive data and ensures best practices are followed.
  • Error Linting: Receive linting errors when trying to access keys that don’t exist or when accessing non-public keys from the client. This helps you catch issues early and maintain robust code.
  • Quick Navigation: Use Ctrl + click to navigate to the location of a setting in Meteor.settings. This allows you to quickly understand and modify the value of any setting.

If you’re interested in trying it out, you can find the extension on GitHub: Meteor Settings IntelliSense.

You can also download it directly from the Visual Studio Marketplace: Meteor Settings IntelliSense on Marketplace.

I hope you find it useful! Feedback and contributions are welcome. If you find any bugs or have an idea for a feature or modification, don’t hesitate to share it here, as an issue on the GitHub repo, as a review in the marketplace, or however you decide to reach out. The extension may be buggy or not work properly sometimes as it is an early version, but I’m eager to hear from you to improve it as much as needed.

PS: Huge thanks to @fferriols for adding features, testing and bug fixing. <3

Cheers!

10 Likes

Pretty cool, @8bytesword!
Congrats on the work, I’ll try it later :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it’s just for me, but the images seen broken in the Visual Studio Marketplace:

Thanks! Hope you find it useful.

And the images, ye, happen to me too. But on github they look fine, must be antoher weird thing from microsoft’s software. I will probably try to host the gifs somewhere else if drive doesn’t work with the vscode marketplace.

Yep, that was it @gabsferreira.

Just wanted to let you know that I’ve fixed the issue with the images on the Visual Studio Marketplace. I hosted the GIFs on Imgur, and now they seem to be displaying properly everywhere.

If you finally use the extension and find any issues, bugs, or have suggestions for improving the existing features or adding new ones, I’d be delighted to hear them and make the necessary updates. It would make me really happy if this extension helps or is useful to fellow programmers :grin:

3 Likes

I use VSCode as my backup/lighter IDE. I have added this and looking forward using it.

1 Like

Really cool! Do you think about creating the same extension for Webstorm? I don’t know how much work that would be, but as I use Webstorm as my main IDE, I’d love to use this with it.

In any case, this is awesome :raised_hands:

Hi @denyhs!

Thanks so much for your support; I really appreciate it.

Regarding porting the extension to WebStorm, that sounds like a fun project! I’ll investigate how much work it would entail and see if I can implement the same features. While the logic should be similar, some functionalities from the VSCode SDK might not have a direct counterpart in WebStorm. However, I will definitely give it a try!

I’ll keep you updated. :smile:

2 Likes

Cool extension you’ve got here!
Gave it a spin with my Meteor project. Those tooltips and autocomplete features are pretty handy.
Makes working with settings a breeze.
Nice work on this! Definitely worth checking out if you’re a Meteor dev.
Keep it up! :+1:

3 Likes