Meteor starter app scaffolds

Is there a list or page of resources that have info on meteor starting apps? By this I mean an application scaffold that goes a bit further than ‘meteor create --full’.

I’m getting more comfy with meteor and have a list of packages I install a bunch and some boilerplate to use them. Is it common to just install the packages and boiler plate and then just stuff the app in a git repo for the next time I want to rapidly spin up a new app?

Is there a way to customize the ‘meteor create’ command to provide my own starting points and boilerplate?

Thanks,

I would recommend taking a look at the recommendations for project structure in the meteor guide https://guide.meteor.com/structure.html

It’s definitely common to create a starter structure as a git repo if it’s something you’ll likely want to reuse.

Also afaik there is no way to customise the create command.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you don’t need the imports directory anymore if you specify an entry point in your package.json e.g:

"meteor": {
    "mainModule": {
      "client": "client/main.js",
      "server": "server/main.js"
    }
  },
1 Like

thanks, I’ll look into creating a git repo with my starter.

I’ve been to that structure page like a million times :wink:

As I recall, the --full option creates an app pretty close to that structure.

1 Like

Here’s the scaffold I use in my software engineering class:

Uses Meteor 1.9.

3 Likes

That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I don’t think I’ll use it specifically, but I am going to ‘borrow’ a bunch of your conventions and philosophy.

I think out-of-the-box it looks great and I’m very impressed. I would use it whole-cloth but my starter uses bootstrap, and a different router etc, so I’m going to go through your code and general config/setup and start adapting it to my particular list of preferred packages.

Thanks!

While we’re on the topic, I’ve just published one myself too https://github.com/dburles/meteor-react-base

2 Likes

Little late on the reply here, but please checkout www.maka-cli.com, it’ll scaffold out (by default) a react app and then some.