Meteor update error

I am trying to do the Meteor todo tutorial with react. It was working fine but now I think meteor has decided to try and update itself and now it is failing. When I go out of my project dir and run meteor update I get the following error:
events.js:141
throw er; // Unhandled ‘error’ event
^

Error: write EOF
at exports._errnoException (util.js:907:11)
at WriteWrap.afterWrite (net.js:785:14)

I am trying to run this on Windows 7. Why does meteor have to auto-update itself when its updates are unstable?

Meteor never updates a project unless you tell it to.

Why is it doing this when i type meteor:
C:\simple-todos3>meteor
[[[[[ C:\simple-todos3 ]]]]]

=> Started proxy.
=> Started MongoDB.
Downloading templating@1.2.14… [ ] 2% 605.9s

I’ll tell you the exact error message it fails on in an hour or so.

Ok. It started failing now the first error message is:

Unable to resolve some modules:

“…/api/tasks.js” in /C/data/Dev/simple-todos3/imports/ui/App.jsx
(web.browser)

Then I think it gives some other module (os.windows.x86 or something)

It looks like you may have a corrupted installation - template@1.2.14 is the latest release (for Meteor 1.4.1).

You should first try removing the current installation and re-installing. Any projects you have created will remain at their current versions unless you also go into the project folder and do meteor update from there.

I hit this error and filed #7689 on it. Then almost immediately after I filed the error I found that my problem was a bad version of tar.exe on my path.

1 Like

Thanks Bruce I did have an old tar on the path and now meteor update works but running meteor in the project still fails

Tried to uninstall that got stuck. Had to kill process and try again and it worked. Now reinstall doesn’t work says “Failed to download Meteor install package”. So much for meteor saving me time.

Sorry to hear you’re having so many problems. There are a couple of things you could try.

1. Try the alternate Windows installation method, or …
  2. Run Meteor from a git checkout.