Meteor Video chat Without embedding into app

Hi All,
I have a requirement to use video chat between customer on mobile device (iOs and Android) and customer care agent on web app,
Is there a way to build that without embedding it into the mobile app, for example using a link
in the mobile app that goes to another web app and the customer care uses the same link and video can be recorded. After video chat user goes back to meteor app.
I am having a lot of issues getting video chat working with meteor mobile apps?
Any helps is appreciated.
Also do you recommend any 3rd party tools that I can use for video chat

I think there were plenty of WebRTC demos regarding Meteor.
For example using well known Twilio SDKs https://www.twilio.com/video
If we are talking about confcall between 2,3, maybe 4 people.
For more, you need some infrastructure, cause WebTRC is mostly peer2peer - so for free.

I only need a call between 2 persons peer to peer, some examples work with meteor on the web but do not work on mobile. For twillio is there an example how to integrate it with Meteor

Have you tried TokBox?

Though I’m not sure whether you’ll get away without embedding anything into mobile app due to the fact that WebRTC is (still) poorly supported on mobile browsers (Safari - not at all, Chrome/Firefox - depending on version).

1 Like

Is there a good example how to embed it using tokbox. I talked to tokbox and they told me that
they do not prefer cordova but native code to integrate with their solution

I’ve used tokbox myself, along with the opentok library, and the ios integration for it (a colleague of mine works swift), and we’ve had no trouble following the guidelines presented on the website along with official docs. Especially for 1 to 1 calls, I’d probably suggest PeerJS aswell.

If there’s anything specific you need help with, I won’t mind explaining :sunny:

2 Likes

Thanks for the help, When using the following library

and I open the app on the mobile device i get
, This video component of this application is powered by Opentok on WebRTC. This functionlaity cannot be enabled in mobile browsers at this time
I am upgrading to iOS 9.2 and also trying to use a Webrtc browser named bowser.

is there a good example with PeerJS with meteor

You can implement peerJS exactly like they do in their documentation - You don’t have to do anything Meteor-specific to make it work. :smile: http://peerjs.com/docs/#start

I have no experience with tokbox-meteor (or any other Meteor-package for WebRTC for that matter). The official packages work just fine. In case you want server-side functionality for Opentok, it might be a good idea to use a package for that, but WebRTC is “Peer To Peer”, and doesn’t have anything to do with the server, unless there’s additional functionality built on top (or if you’re spinning up your own signalling server)

1 Like

Well, actually, in case of TokBox/OpenTok, it does have (at least) something to do with the server - you have to generate session IDs for each session.

You can use hardcoded session IDs (manually generated in a dashboard page), but it’s not recommended for production use.

I keep getting Incompatible Browser:
This video component of this application is powered by Opentok on WebRTC. This functionlaity cannot be enabled in mobile browsers at this time

I keep getting Incompatible Browser:
This video component of this application is powered by Opentok on WebRTC. This functionlaity cannot be enabled in mobile browsers at this time

Pretty much - yup, 'told ya :wink:

WebRTC is poorly supported in mobile browsers.

Your best option for now is - native (iOS) library embedded in your app.

So I am using meteor do you suggest after I get the code compiled to Xcode to add the libraries for the webrtc.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with TokBox/WebRTC for mobile, so I’m afraid I’m not very helpful here, sorry :frowning:

I like it to work on mobile device iOS and Android not meteor web, will it work there

That’s the extra functionality I was talking about. It has nothing to do with webrtc. :smile:

I’ve never had trouble running opentok in chrome on my phone. I have an android, latest chrome…

Thanks just to confirm so it does not work on the mobile device so I do not spend more time on it

maybe check out https://speak.io

“Speak is blazing fast audio, video and screen sharing for your team.”

Was anyone able to make video chat work on a meteor app running on a mobile device (Android and iOS)

1 Like

I need to achieve this too, any luck @eghosheh?