Meteor3 unable to add fourseven:scss

Meteor 3 required node version 20, when I try to run the command meteor add fourseven:scss, it fails with the following error

npm error gyp info spawn args ‘-Dnode_engine=v8’,
npm error gyp info spawn args ‘–depth=.’,
npm error gyp info spawn args ‘–no-parallel’,
npm error gyp info spawn args ‘–generator-output’,
npm error gyp info spawn args ‘build’,
npm error gyp info spawn args ‘-Goutput_dir=.’
npm error gyp info spawn args ]
npm error gyp: Undefined variable standalone_static_library in binding.gyp while trying to load binding.gyp
npm error gyp ERR! configure error
npm error gyp ERR! stack Error: gyp failed with exit code: 1
npm error gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onCpExit

Would anyone know how to fix it?

I’m not sure how you could fix it, but you can try switching to the leonardoventurini:scss package created by @leonardoventurini.

Thank you @fredmaiaarantes and @leonardoventurini. leonardoventurini:scss appears to be working. Found another one, have not tested it, may be this is an option too. activitree:scss3

1 Like

I’m surprised more people aren’t posting about this and fourseven:scss hasn’t been updated to support v3, since it’s the recommended SCSS package.

I would have imagined a lot of projects would be affected by this change, but I suppose a lot of people aren’t updating to v3 yet since it can require a ton of work, updating all the async collection methods.

I feel like I’m in some kind of bizarro world here, and while I normally wouldn’t want to derail a conversation, I want to post here since a solution has already been posted/selected.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts or insights! Thanks.

1 Like

We’re using fourseven:scss a lot. It’s one of the reasons why we haven’t dared to update to Meteor 3.0. Not because I already knew it wouldn’t work, but because this package was a headache on many Meteor updates in the past. Which is not to blame the original author, there were just too many breaking changes in the build system, I guess. Can these other packages be used as a drop-in-replacement, or was there additional work to do?

We switched to leonardoventurini:scss@1.1.5 (for Meteor 2) and have never looked back. It has a Meteor3-compatible version that works just as well and uses the more modern dart compiler under the hood.

1 Like

Thanks, that sounds good!

FWIW: leonardoventurini:scss has been working without any issues for me as a drop-in replacement for fourseven:scss! Thanks.