Meteortoys Package Won't Install

I have used the meteortoys in a number of projects, but in my latest project the package will not install.

When I run the command $ meteor add meteortoys:allthings I see all the usual install activity in my terminal and all of the names of the various meteortoys packages are added to my ‘packages’ file in .meteor, but the package files are not actually installed and the package does not work.

I have tried manually adding the package files from an earlier project, but they disappear when I run $ meteor.

Weird.

I am on Windows 10 and using Atom.

Any help appreciated (yes, I have tried the meteortoys page and support email but no response yet).

UPDATE

At the recommendation of @babrahams, I installed Constellation.

However, I have exactly the same issue: The package(s) appear to load - and their names are added to my ‘packages’ file - but the the actual package files are not installed.

I am wondering if this is an issue relating to their ‘debugOnly’ status? How can I force them to install?

I have tried running $ meteor and $ meteor debug, but that makes no difference.Finding nothing on Google…

Help appreciated!

Probably best to open issues on the respective projects’ Github pages. Ideally, with a minimal repro.

Hey, first, thanks for being a Meteor Toys customer, and second, apologies for the slow response.

This sounds like it could be a Windows 10 + Meteor issue, especially since you are having issues with other packages.

Meteor Toys in general, are designed to be as generic as possible and to work off the supported APIs.

Sometimes, I do notice that Meteor fails to pick up changes in the packages file… I’ve found that running ‘meteor list’ fixes it.

If that works, great, if not, can you please email me the output of meteor list, as well what your Package variable is putting out in the console

1 Like

Thanks Max

I ran $ meteor list and - yes - the package name appears in the list. However, the package file is missing from the package directory (.meteor/local/build/programs/server/packages):

It may not need to be there, depending on how Meteor’s build tool manages this stuff.

If the package is there, then it must be something else. Can you email me the rest of the data, as well as any other issues you may be running into when trying to open them?

It’s also possible that:
1- the meteor list hack got it working
2- but depending on browser, extensions, etc, that the hot keys are not working

Try meteor add meteortoys:toggle to see if that lets you summon them

hey @axw just checking in to make sure you got it working

Hi Max

Just to let you know that I finally got this to work.

I am using Atom as my text editor and I use a package called platformio-atom-ide-terminal which adds a terminal to the atom editor (https://github.com/platformio/platformio-atom-ide-terminal)

This seems to work 99% of the time, but I noticed it was buggy when trying to run Hugo and I had to use the normal cmd terminal.

Using the normal cmd terminal with meteor when installing meteortoys and running meteor solves my problem!

I have reported this bug to https://github.com/platformio/platformio-atom-ide-terminal

Thanks

Alex

UPDATE

FOR ANYONE COMING ACCROSS THIS POST ON METEORTOYS OR OTHER DEBUG ONLY PACKAGES, I HAVE FOUND THAT THE CONSOLE EXTENSIONS IN ATOM HAVE PROBLEMS.

I HAVE SWITCHED TO VS CODE AND HAVE FOUND THAT IT IS MUCH BETTER FOR METEOR DEV THAN ATOM.

1 Like