Minifying/compiling meteor packages in dev

I’m new to meteor and trying to speed up my dev environment reload times. When a page first loads, I notice that there are a lot of requests that are being made for third-party meteor modules. Most of the time I don’t need these to be in individual files in dev (and certainly not uncompressed). Is there a meteor option I’m missing that would allow me to precompile and aggregate my server-side meteor modules in dev so I don’t need to wait for these to be fetched from the server individually every page load?

When you build your application for production, all of your js files will be minified / compressed.

meteor build /path/to/build --architecture os.linux.x86_64

Hi, thanks for your response. I know this happens in production, but having everything unminified and in so many different files slows down my reload speed in dev (by a few seconds). I’m hoping there’s a way to minify and compress meteor modules in dev (especially third-party packages, which almost never get touched during development)

Minifying is by far the slowest process in building for production. Unless your app is only 3 lines of code then trying to minify in dev will be far slower. You need to remember that meteor is not the smallest framework in the world so even a starter app contains a lot of code.

Your browser will be caching most of the files so I suspect your perceived slowness is just your browser running the framework

I apologize for not being clear earlier. I’m still getting a handle on a ton of new concepts.

The production version of my app builds much faster than the dev version, and there seem to be two potential reasons for this:

1. There are far fewer requests in production, as meteor modules are compiled into a single file
  2. The file size of the content that needs to be loaded is much smaller (3.8MB in production vs 9.2MB in dev). Most of the big files are Meteor-specific and not related to my client-side code.

What I’m suggesting is being able to build only the server side platform during dev if you know it’s not going to change during your particular session. You do this once when the test server starts up and then you don’t need to do it again until you need to work on the server. Maybe that’s more complicated than it sounds or maybe client and server are more tightly coupled than I realize at this stage, but this seems like it could save people a lot of time in dev.

I think education is an important part of acquiring new user base, sponsoring influencers on YouTube or Twitch to created applications with meteor with different complexities can display that the platform still being updated and it has an active user base.

Most video tutorials I have seen are over two or five years old, and geared towards beginners and it limited to TODO apps.

I think it’s best to promote it as startup friendly framework.

As for Galaxy hosting I think it should provide Mongodb hosting, so that developers don’t have to juggle between cloud providers.