MongoDB is the Meteor folder required?

When developing the meteor app locally the mongo database collections were created within a folder in the mongo database called Meteor.

After deploying the app I used the mongodump and restore to copy the collections over to the server. However the restore copied the collections to the root directory within the database i.e. did not put them in the folder Meteor.

The system seems to be working OK so is there any reason why I should create and use the Meteor folder?

If you have used meteor build to get a tarball and then deployed it to a server then you should not have a .meteor folder at all.

On my development machine from the project root folder:

Brent-Abrahams:myapp babrahams$ meteor mongo
MongoDB shell version: 2.6.7
connecting to: 127.0.0.1:3001/meteor
meteor:PRIMARY> show dbs
admin   (empty)
local   0.063GB
meteor  0.250GB

On my production server:

babrahams@myserver:~$ mongo
MongoDB shell version: 2.4.6
connecting to: test
mymongodb:PRIMARY> show dbs
local    1.078125GB
mymongodb    1.202880859375GB
test    (empty)

So, no, you don’t need to call your database meteor, but you will need to make sure you put the right db name in the MONGOL_URL environment variable when starting an app instance. e.g.

sudo PORT=80 MONGO_URL=mongodb://127.0.0.1:27017,127.0.0.1:27018,127.0.0.1:27019/mymongodb?replicaSet=mymongodb MONGO_OPLOG_URL=mongodb://127.0.0.1:27017,127.0.0.1:27018,127.0.0.1:27019/local?replicaSet=mymongodb ROOT_URL=http://myapp.example.com forever start -o stdout.log -e stderr.log bundle/main.js

However, to answer the question, if it’s working then don’t worry too much about it. It’s easy to change later if you need to.

(I’m assuming by “folder” in mongodb, you mean a database of that name and that we’re not actually talking about the hidden .meteor directory that happens to house the dev install of mongodb somewhere in one of its sub-directories.)

Many thanks - yes you are right it was the name of the database which created the folder when I ran the mongodump.

The production version is running fine (still testing it) - if fact the funny thing is that the server is faster than local host!