MOST Pacakge out of date in meteor

hi i seem most of the meteor package now not update. is that will problem to start long term project. i check possibilities with meteor vs . next for my next project. i refer to most Trending & Most Used packages in atmospherejs.com. and I seem meteor also update very slow now. also their forum `& youtube channel slow update news and meetup

low-router: last commit 3 years [Jan 11, 2017]
iron-router: last commit 3 years [Apr 17, 2017]

is that ok for long term base project ?

People still use flow-router and iron-router, but only if you still use Blaze as your front end.

These days I think most people use either React with react-router or Vue with vue-router. Since it became possible to use normal npm packages within Meteor (since Meteor 1.3 in 2016), many of the packages on atmosphere are no longer needed. Some packages on atmosphere are meteor specific, but because meteor is stable and updates are always backwards compatible, most of those packages still work just fine.

Meteor is very mature and very stable product - it’s rock solid and feature mature enough that it doesn’t need constant updates or fixes.

I would still recommend it for a long term project, and regularly start new projects with it all the time - because Meteor makes it so easy.

In my opinion, a battle-hardened, stable 7 year old product which is still receiving updates (Meteor) is a safer bet for a long-term project than the (relatively) new-kids-on-the block (next/nuxt).

6 Likes

Pretty sure there are forks of existing packages that are being maintained.

For example https://github.com/VeliovGroup/flow-router updated 12 days ago

Also, meteor supports NPM packages

Hope this helps

Check out Meteor Community Packages. It is a community effort to keep older packages updated among other things. Anyone willing to keep packages updated is welcome.

1 Like

Meteor is very mature and very stable product - it’s rock solid and feature mature enough that it doesn’t need constant updates or fixes.

I would still recommend it for a long term project, and regularly start new projects with it all the time - because Meteor makes it so easy.

In my opinion, a battle-hardened, stable 7 year old product which is still receiving updates (Meteor) is a safer bet for a long-term project than the (relatively) new-kids-on-the block (next/nuxt).

well said @wildhart

1 Like