Moving DB from Compose to MongoLab

Anybody gone through this?

Side note: Currently using galaxy for hosting.

Out of curiosity. Why are you making this transition?

No issues with Compose, but it isn’t a production website just an example app. The price is kind of steep. Although, alternatively, I may try to pile on multiple apps into one compose subscription.

Ah. Well I’ve only ever used mongorestore from a dump on a local db. But the process was pretty painless and I imagine it is similar.
Here’s some docs that will show you how. https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/tutorial/backup-and-restore-tools/

I think you mean mlab (former known as MongoLab). We are hosted there. It should be pretty straighforward. Just setup your db then restore your dump

http://blog.mlab.com/2014/07/tutorial-scaling-meteor-with-mongodb-oplog-tailing/

I’ve been looking for mongo hosting… they have a free plan, and start out from $15 – not bad. I was dreading going with Compose due to the price.

I’ll sign up now and give their service a try.

It says on their website:

Starting September 27 at 10:00 am PDT / 5:00 pm UTC, we’ll be upgrading all free Sandbox plan databases running MongoDB 3.0 to MongoDB 3.2 and all for-pay Shared plan databases running MongoDB 2.6 to MongoDB 3.0.

How will this work if we’re not on 1.4 in the case of Mongo 3.2?

Also, I can get to my database on mlab from MongoChef – I’m all set.

Thanks!

what version are you running? If planning to use the shared plan, MongoDB 3.0 has been supported since Meteor 1.1

We’ve been hosting on mlab’s shared plan for the for the past 10 months–at 4.8 GB it was costing us around $80 per month. Sometimes we very sluggish data loading issues, which I assume are just the nature of a shared hosting plan. We’re switching their dedicated plan today to determine if we notice a performance gain. Shared plan is probably a great plan to start with if you have a very small budget. $160 seems reasonable for the dedicated plan (40 GB of storage). But it’s too bad there isn’t a cheaper dedicated plan.

When you consider I can deploy mongo local to my Meteor instance on my EC2 box, and it comes with 8gb of storage and I can throw 4gb of ram at it, it’s very performant, and it’s all less than $40 a month, it’s hard to pony up for these “remote” mongo services.

Thing to remember is that with these remote services you are usually getting a replica set and backups included, hosting your own on 1 server that is usually not that efficient and really only best done if you have a server per instance you want to run (minimum 3 for a replica set). Mind, you could use docker to segregate multiple instances on one box, but you still have the issue of a single point of failure for all your data.

But from what I’ve read, all these remote mongo services are just a lot slower.

Usually only the free tiers, and if you have high I/O on their shared plans. Their dedicated plans are usually very responsive. I’ve run smaller applications with up to 100 people on mLab’s shared hosting and never had an issue, though I only had a moderate I/O.