My journey towards meteor 3.0

Ok guys, I’m rolling out my update (still on 2.12, but with tons of internal changes moving from fibers to async). Keep your fingers crossed :wink:

4 Likes

The improvements in performance and stability are impressive. The build times have significantly decreased, making development much smoother and faster. I used to experience frustrating delays during the build process, but now it’s a breeze. Also, I think the support for the latest JavaScript features and packages has been a major boost.

3 Likes

How is it going? Are you still on 2.12? Are you considering 2.13? Have you tried using the 3.0 alpha?

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. I actually came across several packages, including Accounts, that still caused fiber warnings. On some I did a PR (like roles) and some I replaced with my own code (like meteor-tenancy). Meteor files is also an important package I think.
I didn’t yet upgrade to 2.13. Will give it a shot on my staging env on scalingo to see if building the app works as expected

2 Likes

Keep me informed. We mentioned this post in the MeteorJS Dispatches podcast.

1 Like

I did post about my progress of upgrading WeKan to Meteor 3.0 alpha 15 here:

2 Likes

Brief update:

• PR for Meteor-Files is in the making, beta is out.
  • The only remaining warnings with WARN_WHEN_USING_OLD_API=true come from the accounts-password package
  • Got some trouble with updating to alpha resp. beta (cf. this thread)
2 Likes

Great job. Keep up the good work! :clap: :clap:

Consider cross posting here for reference
https://forums.meteor.com/t/looking-for-help-migrating-packages-to-meteor-3-0/

Yay! Got the first boot up of my app on meteor 3.0 beta! Wow! Worked around this issue by removing and re-adding packages step-by-step.

First a got a bit stuck at aldeed:collection2, didn’t read that you need to import 'meteor/aldeed:collection2/static'; to keep things working as before.

Now I’m a bit stuck with this problem here, related to Meteor.userAsync() calls from within publications, that throw an error. Will try to get a minimal reproducible example ready.

1 Like