Need advice on how to sum a field in a Collection

I may be over-thinking this after a lot of web searching because a really trivial task is starting to look ugly.

How do I get the sum of a field from a collection? This is boring, accounting kind of stuff. Given:
Ledger = new Mongo.Collection(‘ledger’);
// userId:
// date:
// account: Cash, inventory etc
// amount; positive for debits / negative for credits
// comment: instead of a journal

how do I get, for instance, the sum of records for the Cash account?

I came across meteorhacks:aggregate. The example is a bit spare for my nascent grasp of Mongo, I’m afraid. My attempts to use it are failing.

But it seems like this shouldn’t be this hard to do. What am I missing?

Thanks

This is the answer given to me in stockoverflow. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24729768/meteor-group-collection-by-field-and-their-sum

Hope this helps as they can be done in server or in the client

ralpheiligan,
Thank you for replying. That solution is more complex than I’m asking for. You needed sums by category - I’m just looking to get the sum of the ‘found’ records.

Plus it’s a static solution. Which would be appropriate for a report of some sort but not viable in a dynamic situation.

I am obviously new to Meteor. As a learning exercise I’m building a little market based game. Meteor is great for managing the mechanics in most ways but this is a real shortcoming.

My other option is to structure things so some key values like Cash are maintained from the transactions. Like adding a ‘cash’ field to the user profile I wouldn’t actually use the user profile, of course) and adding and subtracting each transaction. This is ok for a game but in real life I’d want to be able to calc such a number from the actual records. Easily.

I haven’t done this, but when I saw your question I did some searching thinking that I might too have to do this at some point. I found this SO thread:

Have you tried this, $unwind sounds interesting…

cstrat,
Thanks for the lead. A couple of things come up - this is addressing the mongo db directly. Can I do that within Meteor code? And is .aggregate a Mongo function or a package?

The $unwind trick is good to know about. In my case, though, I’m not trying to get the sum of embedded elements but simply the sum of a first level field in the documents themselves. In the nomenclature of the stackflow example I’d have a few records and want the sum of ‘Monto’ field at the top level.

Coming from the relational db world this is bringing me hard up against a fundamental difference in Mongo.

How do you work around these sorts of things?

Edit: I’ve looked into your document more carefully, it seems you’re trying to sum over a specific type of embedded document (Cash)… I think this might actually be of more use.

$group is what you want. If you’ve changed your mind on using aggregate, there’s a involved example at this link which has exactly what you are looking for. Scroll down to the “Group by null” section, in the middle.

http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/reference/operator/aggregation/group/

Using meteorhacks:aggregate, All you’d have to do is

Legder.aggregate([
  {$group: ...} //the example in the link shows you what goes in there.
])